LA News 2012 05 09

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 5:31 AM
      Libertarian Alliance
      Contact Details: Dr Sean Gabb
      07956 472 199, sean@... <mailto:sean@...>

      Dear All,

      I haven't done a mailing for over a month. However, the Libertarian Alliance has remained very busy, putting the case for liberty as best it can. Here is a list of some of the things we have published. These are generally very substantial essays. Even the blog postings listed below are mostly essays. Though we have no objection to short blog postings, Libertarian Alliance writers tend to write at length. Indeed, the comments on postings tend to be rather long and elaborate. This has many advantages where debate is being progressively constrained to Twitter length. Certainly, I commend the last month or so of our writings to your inspection.

      A note on our publishing habits: At the moment, we are still feeling our way towards an integrated system of publishing. Until we get there, many of our longer pieces go up first on the LA website. This doesn't allow comments. Our reason for this is that the LA website is an archive that we hope will be there for decades yet to come, and we don't think it would be appropriate to surround essays with ancient comments. But essays are all republished on our blog, and comments are unmoderated - we only take down comments if we think they will get us into trouble with the authorities. The result is a frequent duplication of effort that we increasingly feel is untidy. Also, some of the blog postings are as long as our formal essays. Some of these then find their way to the website. But, you see, we started our blog simply because everyone else had one, and we didn't realise until after the event that it would become an important publishing venture in its own right. In this sense, our publishing activities are rather like the now abolished English Constitution - great creativity and elaboration, without an ounce of strategic thought.

      Whatever the case, please do look at the various essays listed below. If you want to comment, be our guest. If you want to repost anything, please be our guest in that.

      And, if you feel inclined, you are welcome to use the discreet but omnipresent links that allow you to contribute financially to our efforts.

      Regards,

      Sean Gabb

      Various new essays:

      *
      Philosophical Notes 85, What’s Wrong with ‘What’s Wrong with Libertarianism’ (2012), by J.C. Lester <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/716> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/whats-wrong-with-libertarianism-2012-by-j-c-lester/>
      *
      Philosophical Notes 84, Vallentyne and Zwolinski on “Libertarianism” (2012), by J.C. Lester <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/715> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/vallentyne-and-zwolinski-on-libertarianism/>
      *
      Essay on Homosexuality (2012) by D.J. Webb <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/713> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/homosexuality/>
      *
      Ray Scott Percival's The Myth of the Closed Mind, Reviewed by David McDonagh (2012) <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/712> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/09/the-myth-of-the-closed-mind-a-book-by-ray-scott-percival/>
      *
      Are Unflappable Englishmen Actually Just Complacent? (2012), by D.J. Webb <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/710> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/the-english-elites-cultural-style/>
      *
      Historical Notes 053, British-Irish Relations: “Not Entirely Benign”? (2012), by David J. Webb <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/709> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/d-j-webb-on-anglo-irish-relations/>
      *
      Cigarette Display Ban, Article in The Nottingham Post (2012), by Sean Gabb <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/708> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/sean-gabb-in-the-nottingham-post-re-cigarette-display-ban/>
      *
      Should Alcohol Have a Minimum Price? (2012), Sean Gabb <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/706> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/minimum-alcohol-pricing-better-england-free-than-england-sober/>
      *
      Mortgages and Reposessions (2012), by D.J. Webb <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/705> - debate on LA Blog <http://mortgages and repossessions>
      *
      L. Neil Smith Interviews Sean Gabb (2012) <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/703> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/l-neil-smith-interviews-sean-gabb/>
      *
      Attack the System: Interview with Sean Gabb (2012) <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/?q=node/702> - debate on LA Blog <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/11/interview-with-sean-gabb/>

      See also these essays on our Blog:
      The Policeman’s Your Friend — As Long As He Can Afford to Be <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/the-policemans-your-friend-as-long-as-he-can-afford-to-be/>
      The Police are your friends <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/the-police-are-your-friends/>
      How surprising is that, then <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/08/how-surprising-is-that-then/>
      Private Eye, 11th September 1970: Nothing Changes, Except for the Worse! <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/05/05/private-eye-11th-september-1970-nothing-changes-except-for-the-worse/>
      Freemen of the Land: A Barrister Writes Again <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/freemen-of-the-land-a-barrister-writes-again/>
      The Churchill Memorandum, Reviewed in The Quarterly <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/the-churchill-memorandum-reviewed-in-the-quarterly/>
      An unflattering but very positive review of Mr Blake’s latest <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/an-unflattering-but-very-positive-review-of-mr-blakes-latest/>
      Richard Blake in The Morning Star <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/richard-blake-in-the-morning-star/>
      Richard Blake in Hungarian <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/richard-blake-in-hungarian/>
      Pam Norfolk Reviews Sword of Damascus <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/pam-norfolk-reviews-sword-of-damascus/>
      Another Review of The Churchill Memorandum <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/another-review-of-the-churchill-memorandum/>
      Then and Now: The Thatcherite Legacy of Totalitarian Plutocracy <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/17/then-and-now-the-thatcherite-legacy-of-totalitarian-plutocracy/>
      Truancy and the Total State <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/truancy-and-the-total-state/>
      What to do about GramscoFabiaNazism’s roaring success, and how smokers can’t find a place in society now <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/08/what-to-do-about-gramscofabianazisms-roaring-success-and-how-smokers-cant-find-a-place-in-society-now/>
      The Principal-Secretary-of-State-for-War will now intervene <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/the-principal-secretary-of-state-for-war-will-now-intervene/>
      Historical Notes 052, Understanding the Chinese (2011), by John Derbyshire <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/09/16970/>
      Big Brother State UK: Sean Gabb v Alex Carlile <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/big-brother-state-uk-sean-gabb-v-alex-carlile/>
      Let us suppose for a moment, that… <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/let-us-suppose-for-a-moment-that/>
      Can Liberalism Tolerate Islam? <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/can-liberalism-tolerate-islam/>
      I wonder if they did it on purpose <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/i-wonder-if-they-did-it-on-purpose-11/>
      Big Brother is Back – ID Cards Were Nothing Compared to This Government’s Snooping Plans <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/25/big-brother-is-back-id-cards-were-nothing-compared-to-this-governments-snooping-plans/>
      Should Alcohol Have a Minimum Price? Radio Appearance <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/should-alcohol-have-a-minimum-price-radio-appearance/>
      Propaganda for Fiscal Embezzlement <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/propaganda-for-fiscal-embezzlement/>
      Mill on Liberty – Old Review <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/mill-on-liberty-old-review/>
      Liberalism: For Nations, not Empires? <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/liberalism-for-nations-not-empires/>
      Conservative Promises <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/13/conservative-promises/>
      Politically incorrect film reviews – Coriolanus <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/politically-incorrect-film-reviews-coriolanus/>
      Compensating the British for slavery <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/06/compensating-the-british-for-slavery/>
      Gay marriage versus slavery: discuss <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/gay-marriage-versus-slavery-discuss/>
      Essay on Debt from Outside the Mainstream <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/02/essay-on-debt-from-outside-the-mainstream/>
      Paul Gottfried on English Blame for the Great War <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/paul-gottfried-on-english-blame-for-the-great-war/>
      $1 billion gift for the UN….what a loser. <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/1-billion-gift-for-the-un-what-a-loser/>
      The Navy Buys Its Ships from Abroad! <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/the-navy-buys-its-ships-from-abroad/>
      A Minimum Wage or a Free Economy? <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/a-minimum-wage-or-a-free-economy/>
      Keith Preston on The New Totalitarianism <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/keith-preston-on-the-new-totalitarianism/>
      Evaluate and Critically Discuss <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/20/evaluate-and-critically-discuss/>
      Did Marx Really Say This? <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/did-marx-really-say-this/>
      Obesity by DJW <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/12/obesity-by-djw/>
      Should Libertarianism be Cultural Leftism without the State? <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/should-libertarianism-be-cultural-leftism-without-the-state/>
      A Brief Argument for English Independence <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/a-brief-argument-for-english-independence/>
      “Upstairs, Downstairs” Reviewed <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/6-february-2012-2149/>
      The death of science: atavism returns: “green education” in schools near you <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/the-rise-of-atavism-and-the-death-of-science-green-education-at-a-school-near-you/>

      ==
      Sean Gabb
      Director, The Libertarian Alliance (Carbon Positive since 1979)
      sean@... <mailto:sean@...> Tel: 07956 472 199

      Postal Address: Suite 35, 2 Lansdowne Row, London W1J 6HL, England

      http://www.libertarian.co.uk <http://www.libertarian.co.uk/>
      http://www.seangabb.co.uk <http://www.seangabb.co.uk/>
      <http://www.richardblake.org.uk/>http://richardblake.me.uk/ <http://richardblake.me.uk/>
      http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com <http://libertarianalliance.wordpress.com/>