From the Director of the Libertarian Alliance

  • Sean Gabb
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2011
      Director's Bulletin
      Thursday the 10th May 2011

      Dear All,

      Several things to report.

      1. Trouble in the Libertarian Alliance.

      Following our President's resignation the other day, I sent out a news
      release filled with lush mutual flattery and with promises of future
      glory. But this will never do. The truth is that, both morally and
      financially, the Libertarian Alliance has been severely damaged. I have no
      doubt that I can repair this damage. Those who have caused it are persons
      of no long term importance, and their attacks will, in due course fade
      into obscurity. Even so, I do feel it is my duty, as Director of the
      Libertarian Alliance, to give the plainest and most truthful account that
      I can manage of what has happened….

      Do read more here:

      http://www.seangabb.co.uk/?q=node/526

      2. Of course, the work of the Libertarian Alliance goes on regardless of
      these occasional difficulties. Here are some of our latest publications:

      Here is a radio debate I did yesterday on BBC Radio Leeds about the Myth
      of Global Warming. I start several minutes into the recording - greenies
      usually get first word on the Beeb, and often last words too. I hope you
      will agree that I did the greenie over:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/leeds/local_radio/index.shtml

      Here is an article that I wrote last month not for the LA but for VDare.
      It is a very skilfully edited version of my original, and has been
      improved in many respects. You may not be interested in my insistence that
      the British National Party has been denied what ought to be unquestioned
      rights to freedom of speech and of association. If so, I commend the last
      two thirds of the article, in which I discuss the nature of the British -
      and perhaps the American - ruling class:

      http://www.vdare.com/gabb/110119_mill.htm

      Here is Professor John Kersey on the Freeman of the Land movement. When we
      published this last month, I thought it was an outstandingly good piece of
      writing. Having followed the comments on our blog, I now realise that it
      is perhaps our most significant publication of the past year. The
      Libertarian Alliance is fundamentally about publishing scholarly and
      original essays. If we can maintain this standard of publication, we may
      expect a still better future than our past has been:

      http://www.libertarian.co.uk/lapubs/legan/legan050.htm

      3. The Churchill Memorandum

      My new novel, The Churchill Memorandum, has proved so controversial that
      merely giving its title and quoting from its back cover seem to have
      driven several people into a frenzy. I do invite you, therefore, to buy
      the book and read it for yourself. If you live outside the United Kingdom,
      you may prefer to order copies from Lulu. These should arrive within three
      days:

      http://tinyurl.com/39lpade

      This and other TinyURL addresses are given only because the real ones are
      so long, they would come through broken.

      Or you can buy copies directly from me:

      http://www.seangabb.talktalk.net/hampdenpress/churchill.htm

      I now have a stock of copies. I will sign every copy that you buy direct.
      If you buy ten copies or more, I undertake to procure for you a signed
      paperback copy of Mr Blake's critically-acclaimed and internationally
      best-selling Blood of Alexandria.

      Or you can buy a Kindle edition here:

      http://tinyurl.com/45wkfzq

      4. Richard Blake

      Mr Blake's critically-acclaimed and internationally best-selling Blood of
      Alexandria comes out in paperback next week. Hodder & Stoughton, I am
      told, has already had to reprint this, the pressure of demand was so
      great. You can buy copies here from Amazon for the special price of only
      £3.49:

      http://tinyurl.com/4rp4cmq

      As well as buying many, many copies, you might also care to move copies in
      whatever bookshop you visit into more prominent locations. Well, you might
      - but Mr Blake has begged me not to ask such of you. He is a modest man,
      and would be horrified if he knew that lesser, though temporarily more
      famous, novelists were to be unfairly displaced from the positions given
      them by a degraded and tasteless public.

      Oh, and I should add that this novel has now been bought by Slovart for
      translation into Slovak. Lucky Slovaks, would you not agree?

      His newest novel, Sword of Damascus, will come out in June, and will be
      even more critically-acclaimed and internationally best-selling than all
      the others. I am told that the people at Hodder & Stoughton were surprised
      by its ending and quite overcome by its brilliance. You will agree that I
      have no particular axe to grind if I call this the greatest historical
      novel in the English - or, indeed, any other - language. You can verify
      this for yourselves if you pre-order - many - copies here from Amazon:

      http://tinyurl.com/6kvwp6w

      Love to all - even to those who might not lately have deserved it!

      Sean

      Director, The Libertarian Alliance (Carbon Positive since 1979)
      sean@... Tel: 07956 472 199
      Skype Username: seangabb
      http://www.richardblake.org.uk/
      http://www.facebook.com/sean.gabb
      http://vimeo.com/seangabb

      Wikipedia Entry: http://tinyurl.com/23jvoz

      What would England and the world have been like in 1959 if there had been
      no Second World War? For one possible answer, read Sean Gabb's new novel
      "The Churchill Memorandum". If you like Bulldog Drummond and Biggles and
      the early James Bond, this will be right up your street:
      http://tinyurl.com/39lpade. Don't be frightened of the TinyURL - the
      original is just too long for a sig file.
    • Sean Gabb
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2011
        Libertarian Alliance
        Director's Bulletin
        6th April 2011

        Dear All,

        Various things to report:

        1. the Libertarian Alliance got front page of today's Daily Telegraph,
        which has the biggest circulation of any broadsheet newspaper in the
        English-speaking world. My comments as reported were not particularly
        libertarian. But here they are:

        'Sean Gabb, of the campaign group Libertarian Alliance, said Mr Cameron
        should not apologise for Britain's past.
        'He said: "It's a valid historical point that some problems stem from
        British foreign policy in the 19th and 20th centuries, but should we feel
        guilty about that? I fail to see why we should.

        '"Some of these problems came about because these countries decided they
        did not want to be part of the British Empire. They wanted independence.
        They got it. They should sort out their problems instead of looking to
        us."' (James Kirkup, "David Cameron: Britain caused many of the world's
        problems", The Daily Telegraph, London, 6th April 2011)
        On the back of this, I did the following spot on the BBC:

        http://www.seangabb.co.uk/?q=node/536

        The sentences quoted are a ruthless summary of a very long conversation.
        Particularly left out was my confession of how my chest swells with pride
        whenever, on my various trips about the world, I come face to face with
        another vast statue of Queen Victoria. However, the Telegraph writer
        called because of this essay published in 2010:

        http://www.seangabb.co.uk/?q=node/2

        I'm doing an Irish programme on Sunday morning, to argue that English rule
        was a blessing. If this turns out to be my last bulletin as Director of
        the Libertarian Alliance, let me say now what an honour it has been….

        2. I'm doing a big speech in Brussels this Friday evening - all about the
        need for European political parties to pay attention to libertarian ideas.
        I hope to record this. If so, I will say more next week.

        3. I sort of attended the Interlibertarian conference last weekend in
        Lugano. What I mean is that, while my women were impatiently demanding a
        shopping trip, I sat down in my office at home and spoke until I ran out
        of things to say. I then cooked the video and sent it off to be shown to
        the delegates. Here is the video:

        http://www.seangabb.co.uk/?q=node/535

        4. The new website of the Libertarian Alliance is beginning to take shape.
        We now have all the Political Notes pdf files uploaded and arranged.
        Others are following from day to day. You can see here how far we've got:

        http://www2.libertarian.co.uk

        Please be tolerant of the "About" section. Some of the history of the LA
        is propaganda, and I am revving myself up to write as true a history as I
        can manage.

        And I'd be grateful if anyone out there could show me how to do drop-down
        menus with the CTI-Flex sub-Theme of Zen in Drupal. I spent last Sunday
        afternoon thumbing through jargon-ridden slabs of text, and looked up
        again none the wiser.

        More importantly, I want to get html text up of all the LA publications.
        For this, I do need volunteers. I need people with plenty of time on their
        hands, who can sit revising MSWord files. I will show you exactly how to
        do this. It's a matter largely of getting the title, author, date of
        publication and other details in the right sequence at the head of each
        document. There is also some light proofing to strip out unnecessary
        hyphens. There are 900 files that I've converted from pdf to doc, and I
        don't even begin to have the time to spend ten minutes on each. Volunteers
        would be most welcome.

        5. My friend Richard Blake has a new website. Here it is:

        http://richardblake.me.uk/

        It isn't finished yet, but does look rather lush.

        6. Kevin Carson has done me the great honour of reviewing my Churchill
        Memorandum. Here it is:

        http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2011/03/sean-gabb-churchill-memorandum.html

        That's all for now.

        Best wishes,