The Shootings in America: An English View, by Sean Gabb

  • Sean Gabb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2011
      I try to avoid commenting on American affairs. It is usually bad manners
      to get involved in the politics of a foreign country. It is always unwise
      for someone to get involved in the politics of country where he does not
      live. I see this all the time in foreign comments on England – they are
      never enlightening, but range between repetitions of platitude and the
      utterly perverse. This being said, the shooting last week by Jared
      Loughner of Gabrielle Giffords, a politician there, and of several other
      people, is an exception. The matter of who kills whom in America, and for
      what reason, is no proper concern of mine. But the shootings have, on both
      sides of the Atlantic, begun a debate over the possible effects of speech
      on action. So far as this debate touches on England, and might be used to
      justify the removal of what freedom we still possess, I do not think it
      inappropriate to comment on the shootings.

      http://www.seangabb.co.uk/?q=node/522