Sean Gabb: Advice on Voting in 2010 (Sought as well as Given!)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23 12:30 PM
      Free Life Commentary,
      A Personal View from
      The Director of the Libertarian Alliance
      Issue Number 190
      23rd February 2010
      Linking url: http://www.seangabb.co.uk/flcomm/flc190.htm
      Available for debate on LA Blog at http://wp.me/p29oR-3e9

      The 2010 General Election:
      Advice on How to Vote
      By Sean Gabb

      There must, within the next few months, be a general election in England.
      I will not presume to advise my readers on how to vote. I will, instead,
      explain how I am at present inclined to vote, and will invite any comments
      that may arise.

      My present inclination is to vote for the Conservative Party. I do not
      need to be told that these people are, for the most part, trash. I have
      been mixing in Conservative circles for thirty years now, and I have grown
      used to the idea of running home after most meetings for a bath. For the
      avoidance of doubt, let me admit what I think would be the nature of any
      Government led by David Cameron. It would not withdraw from the European
      Union. It would not roll back the multicultural elements of our police
      state. It would not require the police and other public bodies to behave
      with more humanity or common sense than they now do after thirteen years
      of Labour tyranny. It would not restore freedom of speech and association
      as they were understood in 1960. The identity card scheme might be
      cancelled - but not the national identity database that makes the scheme
      possible. Any cuts in government spending will fall on the services that
      are the excuse for such spending. None of the - often very well-paid -
      administrative and support jobs that are the real purpose will be cut.
      There will be no tax cuts. There will be no change to our external policy
      of slavish subservience to the United States. The "climate change" charate
      might even be become more scandalous.

      This being so, why do I propose to vote Conservative? The answer is that a
      Conservative Government would probably continue with most of the suicidal
      or simply demented policies of the Blair and Brown Governments. But, at
      the end of five years, it would then allow a free election as these things
      have been commonly understood in England. A re-elected labour Government
      would not. When these beasts in human form lied their way to office back
      in 1997, they came in with the same assumptions as Hitler had in 1933.
      They did not regard themselves as having acquired a limited and renewable
      leasehold interest, but as having inherited the freehold. They and their
      clients would never again have to sell their services in any open market.
      They would reorder the State wholly to their own interest. No private
      sphere, no ancient and immemorial rights would stand in their way. 1997
      was Year Zero of their Thousand Year Reich.

      So long as it was reasonably plain that they could win the next few
      elections - if with a dwindling fraction of the total possible vote - they
      were willing to keep most of the old rules. Even so, they took steps to
      cartellise politics with party registration and "human rights" laws that
      now allow them, given courage, to shut down dissident organisations like
      the British National Party. For the past few years, however, they have
      lived in constant fear of losing the next election. And, if Labour does
      lose, that might cause the implosion of their Party. Therefore, if they do
      somehow win after all, we can be reasonably sure that they will never
      allow another free election. I doubt if they would go so far as abolishing
      elections, or openly rigging them. But they are already talking about
      schemes of "electoral reform" that would keep them permanently in office -
      even if office must be shared with the Liberal Democrats. They would also
      tighten the party registration laws, so that only those parties willing to
      guarantee the existing order would be allowed to run in elections. They
      might also extend their control over local politicians to Members of
      Parliament - setting up some system whereby Members who were too outspoken
      could be removed for "misconduct".

      For all their faults, the Conservatives would not do any of these things.
      Therefore, a vote for the Conservatives would be a vote for keeping the
      system open for a real party of national restoration - whatever that might
      be.

      There is one other consideration. This is that, while a Cameron Government
      with a majority of less than fifty would be little different from Labour,
      a majority of more than a hundred would bring in new Members who had not
      been hand-picked for their willingness to obey. A big Conservative
      majority might force a Cameron Government to take a more liberal and
      patriotic line on the main issues.

      Many of my friends assure me they will vote for the UK Independence Party
      or for the BNP - or, in one case, for an Islamic Party. I understand their
      frustration with the existing political arrangements. However, the main
      purpose of a general election is to send a majority into Parliament from
      which a Government will be drawn. Whatever individual chance Nigel Farage
      or Nick Griffin might have in their constituencies, the majority party
      after the next election must be either Labour or the Conservatives. I wish
      it were otherwise. But that is the choice we have to face. Do we want a
      pack of smirking hypocrites, who will leave office after another election?
      Or do we want what I have already called beasts in human form, who will
      never leave office thereafter, short of revolution?

      Some of my friends insist that voting for minor parties will bring on a
      hung Parliament. This might be true. However, a hung Parliament would not
      give decisive weight to any of these minority parties. It would simply
      result in an auction between the two big parties for the Liberal
      Democrats. That would be about as bad as a Labour Majority. The choice
      remains Labour or Conservative.

      Am I wrong? Is there some other viable option that I am overlooking? I
      look forward to hearing if there is. After all, if I do vote Conservative,
      it will be with forefinger and thumb clamped hard over my nose.

      NB—Sean Gabb's book, Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives
      Lost England, and How to Get It Back, can be downloaded for free from
      http://tinyurl.com/ya4pzuh