LA Comment on Banning of Islam4UK

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2010
      OptionsDisable Get Free Shots

      NEWS RELEASE FROM THE LIBERTARIAN ALLIANCE
      In Association with the Libertarian International

      Release Date: Monday 12th January 2010
      Release Time: Immediate

      Contact Details:
      Dr Sean Gabb, 07956 472 199, sean@...

      For other contact and link details, see the foot of this message
      Release url: http://www.libertarian.co.uk/news/nr078.htm

      "BAN ON ISLAM4UK: A DEFEAT FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH," SAYS FREE MARKET AND
      CIVIL LIBERTIES THINK TANK

      The Libertarian Alliance, the radical free market and civil liberties
      institute, today condemns the banning of the radical group Islam4UK as a
      violation of the right to freedom of speech. [Under the Terrorism Act
      2000, a group can be banned if it "commits or participates in acts of
      terrorism, prepares for, promotes or encourages terrorism or is otherwise
      concerned in terrorism". Islam4UK disagrees with the Western occupation of
      Afghanistan, and has made its opposition plain. The banning order will
      come into effect on Thursday and wil make it a criminal offence to be a
      member, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.]

      Speaking today in London, Dr Sean Gabb, Director of the Libertarian
      Alliance, comments:

      "The rights to freedom of speech and association are fundamental to a free
      society. So far as these rights are diminished, that society becomes less
      free. I was born in a country where these rights had been enjoyed for
      centuries. I have reached middle age in a politically correct police state
      where the Government is now trying to criminalise dissent.

      "We do not agree that British soldiers in Afghanistan are rapists and
      murderers. We were offended by the decision of Islam4UK to say this in a
      march. We certainly would not welcome the transformation of this country
      into an Islamic state, which is desired by Islam4UK. However, the group
      has not attacked life or property within the United Kingdom, nor has it
      recommended attacks on the life or property of any identifiable British
      individual. This makes the group a victim of oppression by the British
      State.

      "Just because we may disagree with or be offended by certain views does
      not give us the right to suppress those views. We support the right of
      Islam4UK to oppose the war in Afghanistan and to argue for an Islamic
      takeover of the United Kingdom. In the same way, we support the right of
      others to argue that Moslems should have no right to live in the United
      Kingdom. The Libertarian Alliance believes in equal liberty for all to
      speak their minds. Free speech that does not include the right to give
      offence is not free speech. It is the political equivalent of
      decaffeinated coffee.

      "If people are upset by what they read or hear, let them ignore it or
      argue against it. There is no place in such debates for the Thought Police."

      The Libertarian Alliance believes:

      * That the Race Relations Act 1976 should be repealed;
      * That the Race Relations Amendment Act 2000 should be repealed;
      * That, pending repeal, the Race Regulations subsequent to these Acts
      should be withdrawn;
      * That those sections of the Public Order Act 1986 dealing with speech and
      publication should be repealed;
      * That those sections of the Criminal Justice Act 1998 dealing with
      "racial aggravation" of offences should be repealed;
      * That the Commission for Racial Equality and all similar organisations
      should be abolished, and their records burned;
      * That the Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006 should be repealed;
      * That all the Terrorist Acts should be repealed;
      * That all those convicted of thought crimes under the above laws should
      be pardoned and, where appropriate, compensated;
      * That the Human Rights Act 1998 should be amended to protect the right of
      people to say anything they like about public issues, and to associate or
      not associate as they please.

      END OF COPY

      Note(s) to Editors

      Dr Sean Gabb is the Director of the Libertarian Alliance. His latest book,
      Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives Lost England, and How
      to Get It Back, may be downloaded for free from http://tinyurl.com/34e2o3.
      It may also be bought. His other books are available from Hampden Press at
      http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.He can be contacted for further comment on
      07956 472 199 or by email at sean@...

      Extended Contact Details:

      The Libertarian Alliance is Britain's most radical free market and civil
      liberties policy institute. It has published over 700 articles, pamphlets
      and books in support of freedom and against statism in all its forms.
      These are freely available at http://www.libertarian.co.uk

      Our postal address is

      The Libertarian Alliance
      Suite 35
      2 Lansdowne Row
      Mayfair
      London
      W1J 6HL
      Tel: 07956 472 199

      Associated Organisations

      The Libertarian International - http://www.libertarian.to - is a sister
      organisation to the Libertarian Alliance. Its mission is to coordinate
      various initiatives in the defence of individual liberty throughout the
      world.

      Sean Gabb's personal website - http://www.seangabb.co.uk - contains about
      a million words of writings on themes interesting to libertarians and
      conservatives.

      Hampden Press - http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.- the publishing house of
      the Libertarian Alliance.

      Liberalia - http://www.liberalia.com - maintained by by LA Executive
      member Christian Michel, Liberalia publishes in-depth papers in French and
      English on libertarianism and free enterprise. It is a prime source of
      documentation on these issues for students and scholars.