70 Years since the Catastrophe

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2009

      Today is the 70th anniversary of our delcaration of war on Germany. My
      own view is that this was the greatest single disaster in British and
      perhaps world history. It beats the decision to go to war with Germany in
      1914. That was a disaster in its own right, but did not necessarily mean
      the destruction of western civilisation. By 1945, around fifty million
      Europeans had been killed in battle or murdered or starved or bombed, and
      Bolshevik Russia was supreme across half the continent. British
      liberalism and world power had collapsed. Their best replacement was
      American corporatism with its increasingly ludicrous fig leaf of "human
      rights" and "democracy". None of this would have happened had we stayed
      out of another European war.

      I see that the newspapers here are yet again pushing the Churchill cult.
      The man was named in a BBC poll some years ago as the Greatest Ever
      Briton. I suppose he had more solid qualities than the late Princess of
      Wales. But I increasingly wish the Fuzzy-Wuzzies had tried a little
      harder at Omdurman and planted a spear in his belly. Without him to
      preach jihad against Germany, the 20th century might easily have been a
      continuation of the 19th, rather than a precipitate retreat from a
      liberal world order underpinned by the Pax Britannica.

      I am working on a new novel and have neither time nor inclination to set
      out my reasons at any length why the declaration of war was such a
      mistake. However, I refer you to an article I wrote in 2003 about Neville
      Chamberlain and appeasement:

      http://www.seangabb.co.uk/flcomm/flc099.htm

      Regards,

      Sean

      Director, The Libertarian Alliance (Carbon Positive since 1979)
      sean@... Tel: 07956 472 199 Skype Username: seangabb

      http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk
      http://vimeo.com/seangabb

      Wikipedia Entry: http://tinyurl.com/23jvoz

      Buy these novels by Richard Blake: "Conspiracies of Rome"
      <http://tinyurl.com/l8uj8r> ("Fascinating to read, very well written, an
      intriguing plot" Derek Jacobi); "Terror of Constantinople"
      <http://tinyurl.com/n9ugw3> ("Nasty, fun and educational" The Daily
      Telegraph). "Blood of Alexandria" will soon be in a book shop near you.