Sean Gabb on the War in Georgia

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2008

      Free Life Commentary,
      A Personal View from
      The Director of the Libertarian Alliance
      Issue Number 174
      14h August 2008

      Another Neocon Farce?
      by Sean Gabb

      Foreign policy is an open issue among libertarians. Some of us are
      isolationists. Others are pacifists. Others take a more belligerent line,
      believing that there are threats to the admittedly imperfect liberal
      democracies of the West that must be countered, and even that the
      intelligent use of force can increase the amount of freedom in the world.

      I am an isolationist. Though I incline to anarchist, I accept that for
      the moment, the world is ruled by various states, and that there will
      always be disputes between states, some leading to war. This being so, I
      believe that the best way to minimise the threat of war is to have our
      own state keep out of any dispute that does not immediately concern the
      integrity of its own territory.

      I am a citizen of a country that was a principal actor in the two big
      wars of the twentieth century. I believe that these wars were unnecessary
      for the security of my country and killed unimaginable numbers of people.
      They also destroyed British primacy in the world and were the means of
      transforming Britain from genuine liberal democracy to politically
      correct corporatism. That is why I was so opposed to to our role in the
      wars of the past decade in the Balkans, in Iraq and in Afghanistan. And
      that is why I am now opposed to any intervention in the war between
      Russia and Georgia.

      I am told that Russia is an aggressive power that must be resisted in the
      Caucasus before it is able to threaten other places. The newspapers are
      filled with the usual talk of Munich and appeasement, together with
      claims that a new Cold War is beginning. I deny this.

      Russia may be an aggressor in this war. Or it may not be. I will not
      enter into the details of who moved first, or with what provocation. But,
      even assuming that Russia is the aggressor, I fail to see what business
      this war is of the British or American Governments. The implied deal at
      the end of the 1980s was that the Soviet Union would evacuate its
      European colonies, in return for which Russian security would be
      respected. Every former republic of the Soviet Union, with the exception
      of the Baltic States, were to be regarded as part of the Russian sphere
      of interest. That included the Ukraine and Georgia.

      It was unwise to recruit the former East European colonies of the Soviet
      Empire into NATO, and to move Western armed forces right up to the old
      Soviet border. But that was something the Russians at the time were in no
      position to resist, and that they might, given intelligent diplomacy, be
      brought to accept was no threat to them. Now that Russia is again a first
      class power, it would be madness to intervene in what used to be a core
      part of the Soviet Union.

      Yes - Russia is again a first class power. This may be founded on the
      high price of oil and gas. The demographic trends in Russia may point to
      a longer term weakness. But Russia will for perhaps the next decade be
      again a first class power. This is no threat to the west. I was against
      fighting the Cold War. But it was then arguable that the Soviet Union was
      a danger to the west. What we had then was the largest country in the
      world, with the largest armed forces, both at the disposal of a murderous
      and expansionist ideology with intellectual sympathisers in every country
      in the world.

      First class or otherwise, Russia today is a normal power. It is no longer
      interested in conquering France and Australia and Argentina. The present
      ruling class in Russia legitimises itself and its efforts in terms of
      Russian nationalism and Orthodox Christianity. This makes Russia a danger
      to some of its immediate neighbours, but not to us. It is rightly
      annoying to the British Government that Mr Putin seems willing to have
      his political enemies murdered in London.

      In the longer term, indeed, Russia is at least a potential ally of the
      West, if not part of the West. If there is to be a contest in this
      century - and I hope there will not be - between the West and Islam, or
      the West and China, Russia must reasonably be counted as on our side.
      With two lost wars in the Islamic world, and growing American impotence
      in East Asia, now is not the time to antagonise Russia.

      I have, in the past day, read statements by David Milliband, the British
      foreign Secretary, and by the Conservative leader, David Cameron, that
      strike me as almost childish in their failure to understand the realities
      of international politics. There is nothing we should do to help the
      Georgians. There is nothing we can do. Russia is not an enemy of Britain.

      Sadly, London, just like Washington, has been captured by the
      neoconservatives. These are not conservatives, new or old. They are
      simply warmongers. They have misread the history of the twentieth
      century. For them, national greatness is measured by military power. They
      are allied to business and other interests that benefit from war. They
      had a fine time during the Cold War. They were disappointed when this
      abruptly ended. They have since then been lying us into smaller wars all
      over the world. They want a permanent war with Islam. They look forward
      to a cold war with China. Of course, now that Vladimir Putin is in charge
      of Russia, they are in love with the idea that the original Cold War
      never really ended, and that the warm certainties of their youth can now
      be revived.

      What passes in the Conservative Party for thinking about foreign policy
      is dominated by these people. I remember one Conservative politician who,
      in 1995, assured a closed meeting that the Soviet evacuation of Eastern
      Europe was a fraud, and that Russian tanks were ready to rumble westward
      at the press of a button in Moscow. I was urged at the time not to hold
      the clown up for the ridicule he deserved. I wish I had not listened. The
      man is still important, and is a standing reminder that the Conservatives
      are at least as great a menace to world peace as New Labour.

      I could say more. But I think I have said enough. I hope the Russians and
      Georgians will come to terms before too many more people are killed. In
      the meantime, I am resolutely opposed to any intervention of any kind in
      the dispute by the British Government. And, since Britain is regrettably
      for the moment part of the American Empire, I oppose involvement by the

      NB—Sean Gabb's book, Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives
      Lost England, and How to Get It Back, can be downloaded for free from