Libertarian Alliance on Barry George

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 9:06 AM
      NEWS RELEASE FROM THE LIBERTARIAN ALLIANCE
      In Association with the Libertarian International

      Release Date: Saturday 2nd August 2008
      Release Time: Immediate

      Contact Details:
      Dr Sean Gabb on 07956 472 199 or via sean@...

      For other contact and link details, see the foot of this message
      Release url: http://www.libertarian.co.uk/news/nr069.htm

      Barry George: An Innocent Man Free at Last

      The Libertarian Alliance, the radical free market and civil liberties
      policy institute, welcomes the acquittal of Barry George after his
      retrial for murder.

      [Note for overseas readers: Barry George was found guilty in 2001 for the
      murder in 1999 of the television presenter Jill Dando. He always
      maintained his innocence. In 2007, the Court of Appeal quashed his
      conviction and ordered a retrial. This ended on the 1st August 2008 with
      an acquittal.]

      The Libertarian Alliance published two of the key documents used by
      campaigners to obtain the retrial:

      Robert Henderson, Barry George and the Celebrity Effect: A Miscarriage of
      Justice in the Making, Legal Notes No. 37, 2001
      Scott Lomax, Trial and Error: The Case of Barry George, Legal Notes No.
      40, 2003

      Libertarian Alliance Director, Dr Sean Gabb, says:

      "We welcome this acquittal. It shows that the criminal justice system in
      this country is not wholly useless. Indeed, since Mr George would
      probably never have been allowed a retrial in most other countries, we
      can say that we still have one of the best criminal justice systems in
      the world.

      "This being said, an innocent man has had nine years of his life taken
      away. The remainder of his life may be passed in the shadow of these past
      nine years. He can be given financial compensation. He cannot be given
      his life back.

      "His conviction in 2001 was not an ordinary mistake. The authorities were
      under pressure to find the killer of Jill Dando. Not being able to find
      the real killer, they seem to have conspired to get an innocent man
      convicted. If so, several police officers and several lawyers at the
      Crown Prosecution Service are guilty of a dereliction of duty amounting
      to corruption.

      "We call on the Home Office to begin an immediate enquiry into what
      happened. If criminal acts were committed by the relevant police officers
      and lawyers at the Crown Prosecution Service, we call for criminal
      prosecutions. If there was wrongdoing that falls short of the criminal,
      we call for the names and photographs of the persons concerned to be
      published, and for these persons to be dismissed from government service
      and to suffer the greatest disadvantages with regard to their pensions
      allowed by law."
      END OF COPY

      Note(s) to Editors

      Robert Henderson is the author of Barry George and the Celebrity Effect:
      A Miscarriage of Justice in the Making, Libertarian Alliance, Legal Notes
      No. 37, 2001. He can be reached on 020 7 387 5018 or at
      philip@...

      Dr Sean Gabb is the Director of the Libertarian Alliance. His latest
      book, Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives Lost England,
      and How to Get It Back, may be downloaded for free from
      http://tinyurl.com/34e2o3. It may also be bought. His other books are
      available from Hampden Press at http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.

      He can be contacted for further comment on 07956 472 199 or by email at
      sean@...

      Extended Contact Details:

      The Libertarian Alliance is Britain's most radical free market and civil
      liberties policy institute. It has published over 800 articles, pamphlets
      and books in support of freedom and against statism in all its forms.
      These are freely available at http://www.libertarian.co.uk

      Our postal address is

      The Libertarian Alliance
      Suite 35
      2 Lansdowne Row
      Mayfair
      London
      W1J 6HL
      Tel: 07956 472 199

      Associated Organisations

      The Libertarian International - http://www.libertarian.to - is a sister
      organisation to the Libertarian Alliance. Its mission is to coordinate
      various initiatives in the defence of individual liberty throughout the
      world.

      Sean Gabb's personal website - http://www.seangabb.co.uk - contains about
      a million words of writings on themes interesting to libertarians and
      conservatives.

      Hampden Press - http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.- the publishing house of
      the Libertarian Alliance.

      Liberalia - http://www.liberalia.com - maintained by by LA Executive
      member Christian Michel, Liberalia publishes in-depth papers in French
      and English on libertarianism and free enterprise. It is a prime source
      of documentation on these issues for students and scholars.