Libertarian Alliance: Unconditional Support for David Davis!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2008
      NEWS RELEASE FROM THE LIBERTARIAN ALLIANCE
      In Association with the Libertarian International

      Release Date: Thursday 12th June 2008
      Release Time: Immediate

      Contact Details:
      Dr Sean Gabb on 07956 472 199 or via sean@...

      For other contact and link details, see the foot of this message
      Release url: http://www.libertarian.co.uk/news/nr066.htm

      David Davis MP: Libertarian Alliance Gives "Unconditional Support"

      The Libertarian Alliance, the radical free market and civil liberties
      policy institute, today gives its unconditional support to David Davis,
      The Deputy Leader of the Conservative Party, who has resigned to fight a
      by-election on the issue of the 42-day detention law. Though much more
      radical than he is on issues of civil liberty, the Libertarian Alliance
      hails Mr Davis as a brave and decent man.

      Note: On the 11th June 2008, the House of Commons approved a clause in
      the Counter-Terrorism Bill to allow detention without charge for up to 42
      days, or six weeks. 36 Labour MPs voted against the Government. The
      measure passed only because of lavish bribery to other potential rebels
      and to the Irish Members. The following day, David Davis announced he
      would resign his seat and fight the resulting by-election on the single
      issue of the erosion of civil liberties during the past decade of Labour
      rule. This would provide some British people at least with a vote on the
      increasingly terrible actions of this Government.

      Libertarian Alliance Director, Dr Sean Gabb, says:

      "The Libertarian Alliance is a non-party organisation. That is, we find
      much to oppose in all the main political parties. On this occasion,
      however, we give our unconditional support to Mr Davis as an individual
      candidate in his fight for our liberties.

      "We have been repeatedly told that suspects will only be detained for six
      weeks without trial in the gravest cases affecting national security.
      This is a lie. We were promised that the Regulation of Investigatory
      Powers Act 2000 would only be used in cases of national security.
      Instead, it is used by just about every local authority in the country to
      spy on ordinary people. The effect - and almost certainly the purpose -
      of this law will be to create a new weapon of administrative detention.
      It may be used against the occasional terrorist suspect. Much more often,
      though, dissidents and other 'trouble-makers' will be told to shut up or
      face arrest on suspicion of terrorist offences. They will be held without
      charge for six weeks, then released without charge. In the meantime, they
      will have lost their jobs and reputations; their lives will be in ruins.
      All this - and without the shadow of due process.

      "Anyone who believes such wickedness is beyond the imagination of our
      rulers is either ignorant of human nature in general or blind to what
      this Labour Government has done since 1997.

      "In deciding to fight a by-election on this issue, and the general issue
      of the Labour police state, David Davis has shown himself to be a brave
      and decent man. His fight is our fight. Regardless of normal party
      affiliation, it is the fight of everyone who believes in liberal democracy.

      "We note that some people are already crying up Mr Davis as a 'radical
      libertarian', - as if these words falsified what he was saying. We find
      this bizarre. All he is demanding in essence is a return to the legal
      situation of the early 1990s. It is a sign of how illiberal the political
      consensus has become in this country that he could possibly be called
      'extreme'.

      "We are the extremists on the civil liberties spectrum. We agree with Mr
      Davis in calling for repeal of all 'hate crime' censorship laws and the
      restoration of due process. But we go much further. We also call for
      repeal the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, which turns every professional
      adviser in the country into a police spy. We call for an end to the 'war
      on drugs', which is fuelling organised crime. We call for the repeal
      repeal of the Firearms Acts, which leave ordinary people defenceless
      against violent criminals. we call for repeal of the race relations laws,
      which do more than anything else to restrict freedom of speech and
      association.

      "Where civil liberties are concerned, Mr Davis is a moderate. We say this
      not to criticise him, but to expose the fatuity of his critics.

      "Again, we wish him well. We call on the Liberal Democrat and UK
      Independence Parties not to field candidates against him in the
      by-election, and for the contest to be one between light and darkness - a
      contest in which whatever Labour candidate dares stand in defence of his
      Government's record will lose his deposit and pass into the oblivion that
      Gordon Brown himself deserves."
      The Libertarian Alliance believes:

      That no one should be deprived of life, liberty or property without due
      process of law:
      That due process should include no detention without charge after 48
      hours, together with all other Common Law protections abolished or eroded
      since around 1988
      END OF COPY

      Note(s) to Editors

      Dr Sean Gabb is the Director of the Libertarian Alliance. His latest
      book, Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives Lost England,
      and How to Get It Back, may be downloaded for free from
      http://tinyurl.com/34e2o3. It may also be bought. His other books are
      available from Hampden Press at http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.

      He can be contacted for further comment on 07956 472 199 or by email at
      sean@...

      Extended Contact Details:

      The Libertarian Alliance is Britain's most radical free market and civil
      liberties policy institute. It has published over 800 articles, pamphlets
      and books in support of freedom and against statism in all its forms.
      These are freely available at http://www.libertarian.co.uk

      Our postal address is

      The Libertarian Alliance
      Suite 35
      2 Lansdowne Row
      Mayfair
      London
      W1J 6HL
      Tel: 07956 472 199

      Associated Organisations

      The Libertarian International - http://www.libertarian.to - is a sister
      organisation to the Libertarian Alliance. Its mission is to coordinate
      various initiatives in the defence of individual liberty throughout the
      world.

      Sean Gabb's personal website - http://www.seangabb.co.uk - contains about
      a million words of writings on themes interesting to libertarians and
      conservatives.

      Hampden Press - http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.- the publishing house of
      the Libertarian Alliance.

      Liberalia - http://www.liberalia.com - maintained by by LA Executive
      member Christian Michel, Liberalia publishes in-depth papers in French
      and English on libertarianism and free enterprise. It is a prime source
      of documentation on these issues for students and scholars.