Sean Gabb on BBC Radio 5 - 26/04/08, after 11:45pm BST

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2008
      From Sean Gabb,
      Director, the Libertarian Alliance,
      to: Yahoo Group: Libertarian Debaters

      Dear All,

      I've been invited on the radio tonight to debate with one of the senior
      advisers to the Archbishop of Canterbury on whether high salaries should
      be "capped" in order ot help the poor.

      I shall probably be allowed about three discontinuous minutes, while the
      majority of time goes to some clerical communist droning on about
      "compassion". However, what I will try to argue is as follows:

      The salaries of those who work for the State come from a forcible
      transfer of wealth, often form the poor. Such slaries should be capped at
      £20,000. The salaries and rewards of those who run big business and the
      City are often based on a grant of state privilege. Such people should be
      exposed to real market competition.

      But most people who do well in this country do so by offering goods and
      services on terms that others find attractive. Their wealth is justly
      acquired, and it is immoral to call for it to be taken away. Certainly,
      what I earn is for me and my wife and daughter. It is not for some
      feckless prole in a council flat. The modern Church of England would
      never dream of calling for the regulation of what consenting adults do
      with each other in bed. Why therefore call for controls on what they do
      with their cash?

      Beside this, the whole idea of capping the rich is based on evil
      premises. The assumption behind these calls is that England is like some
      gigantic ant heap in which the few own and control the many. This
      assumption destoys all scope for exercising the free will on which
      salvation is supposed to depend.

      Now, I shan't be able to say much of this. But YOU CAN HELP!

      Please tune in, either with your wireless or via the Internet. Try to
      call, e-mail or text your points across. You will probably be filtered
      out to make room for more whining communists. But it's worth the effort.
      Do this if you live in england. But why not give it a try from abroad? If
      you think the Christian Faith is worth saving from the Left, here is an
      opportunity.

      Here are the details:

      From 10pm onwards - though me probably around midnight: 22:00 Stephen
      Nolan Show

      Wireless frequency: 909 or 693 khz AM
      Internet: http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/nolan.shtml

      Call 0500 909 693 [free from BT landlines; charges for mobiles and other
      networks will vary].

      Text 85058 [network rates].

      E-mail: nolan@...

      Good luck.

      Director, The Libertarian Alliance
      Tel: 07956 472 199

      sean@... http://www.seangabb.co.uk
      http://www.libertarian.co.uk http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk/

      Download my new book - "Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How
      Conservatives Lost England, and How to Get It Back" -
      http://tinyurl.com/34e2o3