Libertarian Alliance - Police: Go on Strike: Stay on Strike

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2007
      NEWS RELEASE FROM THE LIBERTARIAN ALLIANCE
      In Association with the Libertarian International

      Release Date: Monday 10th December 2007
      Release Time: Immediate

      Contact Details:
      Dr Sean Gabb, 07956 472 199, sean@...

      For other contact and link details, see the foot of this message
      Release url: http://www.libertarian.co.uk/news/nr059.htm

      "POLICE: VOTE TO STRIKE: GO ON STRIKE: STAY ON STRIKE", SAYS FREE MARKET
      AND CIVIL LIBERTIES THINK TANK

      The Libertarian Alliance, the radical free market and civil liberties
      think tank and pressure group, today calls on the British Police
      Federation to urge their members to vote for the right to strike - then
      to call them out on strike and to stay on strike.

      Dr Sean Gabb, Director of the Libertarian Alliance, comments:

      "The idea that the main function of the police is to protect life and
      property requires a firm resolve not to read the newspapers. There was a
      time within living memory when the worst the police did was to resell
      porn and drugs, and license burglars, and hang round public lavatories
      arresting any man desperate enough to fancy them. In addition to this, to
      be fair, they did provide the occasional protective service.

      "But this is history. The police nowadays are little more than an
      increasingly trigger-happy ruling class militia. They spend much of their
      time listening to radio discussions in search of people to harass for
      saying something politically incorrect. If they do leave the fortified
      compounds we used to call police stations, it is to arrest householders
      for protecting their lives and property, or to breathalyse every tenth
      driver on the local A roads. The police are politically and financially
      corrupt. They are personally dangerous to be near. The only thing still
      to be said in their favour is that they are lazy and incompetent.

      "England has become a country where if you see a police officer knocking
      on your door, you panic.

      "We welcome the calls for the police to be allowed to go on strike. We
      urge all police officers to vote for this right, then to exercise it. We
      further call on the authorities not to negotiate with the strikers.

      "A police strike would be the biggest blow for liberty since the
      abolition of identity cards in 1952. Free from the hot breath of PC Plod
      on our necks, we could all speak freely again, and take whatever steps
      were needed to protect ourselves and our loved ones from the other trash
      infesting this country."

      The Libertarian Alliance believes:

      In the abolition of state policing:
      In the repeal of all the Firearms Acts from 1920 to 1997, plus any other
      laws limiting the right to keep and use firearms;
      In the repeal of all laws banning the carrying and use of other defensive
      weapons;
      That the money thereby saved should be used to cut taxes.
      END OF COPY

      Note(s) to Editors

      Dr Sean Gabb is the Director of the Libertarian Alliance. His latest
      book, Cultural Revolution, Culture War: How Conservatives Lost England,
      and How to Get It Back, may be downloaded for free from
      http://tinyurl.com/34e2o3. It may also be bought. His other books are
      available from Hampden Press at http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.

      He can be contacted for further comment on 07956 472 199 or by email at
      sean@...

      Extended Contact Details:

      The Libertarian Alliance is Britain's most radical free market and civil
      liberties policy institute. It has published over 700 articles, pamphlets
      and books in support of freedom and against statism in all its forms.
      These are freely available at http://www.libertarian.co.uk

      Our postal address is

      The Libertarian Alliance
      Suite 35
      2 Landsdowne Row
      Mayfair
      London
      W1J 6HL
      Tel: 07956 472 199

      Associated Organisations

      The Libertarian International - http://www.libertarian.to - is a sister
      organisation to the Libertarian Alliance. Its mission is to coordinate
      various initiatives in the defence of individual liberty throughout the
      world.

      Sean Gabb's personal website - http://www.seangabb.co.uk - contains about
      a million words of writings on themes interesting to libertarians and
      conservatives.

      Hampden Press - http://www.hampdenpress.co.uk.- the publishing house of
      the Libertarian Alliance.

      Liberalia - http://www.liberalia.com - maintained by by LA Executive
      member Christian Michel, Liberalia publishes in-depth papers in French
      and English on libertarianism and free enterprise. It is a prime source
      of documentation on these issues for students and scholars.