[Scooplist] OPINION RELEASE: Senate Passes Gun Control Amidst Protection For Gun Makers

  • rick@stanley2002.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      Phone: 303-329-0481
      E-mail: rick@...

      We the People Scoop 07/31/05

      WE THE PEOPLE SCOOP - TO EXPOSE! **
      ** Visit the website: http://www.stanley2002.org **
      ** Like the Scoop? Forward it to everyone you know! **

      OPINION RELEASE: Senate Passes Gun Control Amidst Protection For Gun Makers

      Folks: FYI

      Regards,

      Cal
      Friday evening, July 29, 2005

      The U.S. Senate passed legislation (S. 397) protecting the gun industry
      from frivolous lawsuits by a vote of 65-31 this afternoon.

      It should have been a joyous occasion for the entire gun community.
      But just when it seemed that the majority party was about to deal a
      knockout blow, the Republican leadership dropped their gloves and
      allowed anti-gun Democrats to land a hard uppercut on the chin.

      As a result of that lack of resolve, America will be saddled with
      mandatory trigger locks unless the House of Representatives acts in a
      more responsible manner.

      True, the underlying bill is significant legislation, supported by GOA,
      which will help the firearms industry defend itself from the slew of
      frivolous lawsuits you've been hearing about for years. It's not great
      protection, but it's a nice first step.

      However, "nice first step" should never be an excuse for the
      passage of more gun control. By the way, you will no doubt be reading
      news reports touting the bill as a great victory for gun owners, while
      dismissing the trigger lock amendment as "minor." Wrong, and
      more on that later.

      But first: how did this thing blow up in our faces?

      IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD, THEN IT WENT BAD

      Remember that Gun Owners of America had asked its members and activists
      to lobby Majority Leader Bill Frist to use whatever means possible to
      block anti-gun amendments? At first, his office had been telling us
      this couldn't be done.

      Frist's office told us there was no Senate rule allowing the majority
      party to block bad amendments.

      But after GOA members and activists applied the heat, Frist took
      another look. He then used parliamentary rules to "fill the
      amendment tree," which is exactly what we asked him to do.
      "Filling the amendment tree" is a technical term which
      explains how the majority party can offer amendments in such a way as
      to block the minority party from offering other amendments.

      So far so good. But then... Frist blinked. You see, there were a
      handful of "moderate" Democrats, mainly from pro-gun states,
      who had cosponsored the original bill -- enough to make the measure
      filibuster-proof. Fearing that the other side would get those guys to
      bolt from the bill, Frist caved and allowed people like decidedly
      anti-gun Senator Herb Kohl to offer amendments.

      Frist should have stood firm and let any rats jumping ship go home and
      explain to their constituents why they didn't support needed tort
      reform.

      But he did not, and the trigger lock amendment passed. Those who think
      it's no big deal will tell you that even though the provision requires
      gun dealers to include the sale of a "lock-up-your-safety"
      device with every handgun sold, there are no penalties for the gun
      owner if he or she does not use the trigger lock. Right. NOT YET.

      Remember seat belts? First they had to be installed in every new car
      sold. Then, it became mandatory that you wear them. You can almost
      hear the debate in the next Congress: "It does no good to provide
      trigger locking devices if gun owners aren't required to use them. We
      need to punish any gun owner who fails to lock up his or her
      handgun!"

      Remember also that some us don't like a "tax" on the price of
      our next gun, which we have to pay to get a piece of equipment we know
      can endanger our lives should we install it.

      IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE

      At least your hard work convinced Frist to fill the tree in the first
      place. Otherwise, any anti-gun Senator could have added anything
      including the word "firearm" and who knows what we would have
      ended up with. It's an utter shame that Frist lost his nerve right
      when total victory was in our grasp.

      Even worse, perhaps, 70 Senators went along with the trigger lock
      amendment when they could just as easily have voted "No" and
      passed a clean bill thereafter. Were your Senators among those who
      need to be spanked for toying with your rights? Go to
      http://www.gunowners.org/cgv.htm for a complete run-down of the trigger
      locks vote.

      WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

      The bill now moves to the House. Some pro-gun spokesmen have been
      promising that the trigger lock amendment can be stripped out in a
      conference committee. As mentioned in a previous alert, this is a
      dangerous strategy which frequently does NOT work -- such as when we
      got stuck with the Feinstein semi-auto ban in 1993-94 and the Incumbent
      Protection Act in 2002.

      Actually, a clean bill already exists in the House. Why not pass that one?
      Congress is in recess during August. But the back-room deals are
      certain to continue inside the Beltway.

      To counter those expected compromises, GOA will need your help at
      specific times over the remainder of the summer. Please stay tuned...
      gun owners will need to pressure their Representatives with one simple
      message: a vote for ANY bill, should it contain new gun control, is NOT
      something we're prepared to swallow without a fight.

      in receiving the included information for nonprofit research and educational purposes only.[Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ]

      To those who have taken the Oath, Remember the Oath!
      To those who have not and believe in the Constitution,
      Take a similar Oath now to the Constitution!
      Remember that those who make laws contrary to the Constitution,
      Those who enforce laws contrary to the Constitution,
      And those who give orders contrary to the Constitution,
      Have become domestic enemies of the Constitution!
      It doesn't take a Judge or a lawyer to know the difference!

      "I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT I WILL SUPPORT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AGAINST ALL ENEMIES,
      FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC; THAT I WILL BEAR TRUE FAITH AND ALLEGIANCE TO THE SAME; AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE (CONSTITUTIONAL AND
      LAWFUL) ORDERS OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THE (CONSTITUTIONAL AND LAWFUL) ORDERS OF THE OFFICERS APPOINTED OVER
      ME, ACCORDING TO REGULATIONS AND THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY JUSTICE. SO HELP ME GOD."

      Teddy's Answer to Diversity!

      There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility
      of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities.
      — Theodore Roosevelt, speech before the Knights of Columbus, 1915, New York

      Teddy's Answer to Bush!

      To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
      but is morally treasonable to the American public.
      — Theodore Roosevelt

      Teddy's Answer to Bush & Congress

      "We cannot afford to differ on the question of honesty if we expect our republic permanently to endure. Honesty is not so much a credit as an absolute
      prerequisite to efficient service to the public. Unless a man is honest, we have no right to keep him in public life; it matters not how brilliant his
      capacity." — Theodore Roosevelt

      Want to be on our lists? Go to http://www.geocities.com/wjpbr1/molonlab.html .Write to Molonlabe@... to be off lists!

      Bill's Vietnam Memorial Page
      http://www.geocities.com/wjpbr1/index.html

      http://www.stanley2002.org
      guest call in line: 1-800-433-1429
      to listen, click here: http://www.americanvoiceradio.com

      If you wish to unsubscribe from We the People Scoop,
      change your email address, or add an email address,
      please visit the automated list management at:
      or
      http://lists.stanley2002.org/mailman/listinfo/scooplist
      or for personal attention, please send a message to
      webmaster@... with the subject "unsubscribe" from the email
      address you received it at.
      scoop@... are usually ignored....