Re: Yahoo is tracking your activity - opt out now!

  • RAnthony Steele <ranthonysteele@hotmail.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2003
      robertw069 wrote:
      > Well, as if the government weren't doing anough snooping, A friend
      > mentioned to me that Yahoo is now tracking groups users with
      > something called "web beacons" to see what you are doing when you
      > are on the net outside Yahoo.

      A little behind the times. Yahoo has been doing this for about a year
      now.

      This service is 'free', which means it is paid for with ad dollars,
      ad dollars that can be better targeted if they know your
      preferences. Don't like the intrusions into your privacy? Use a pay
      service. Of course, you can opt-out, a nice contrast to gov't
      intrusion, about which you have no choice.

      Which brings me to another thing. Can we dispense with the fear
      mongering? We have enough to worry about without wondering if Yahoo
      learns something about us through tracking web surfing. Let's stick
      to actual threats from actual gov't entities. Contrasting the
      actions of corporations with the actions of gov't is comparing apples
      and oranges, IMO.

      -RAnthony

      "Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what
      makes it permanent."
      - Marilyn vos Savant

      Want to know what Austin Libertarians are up to?