Where Is the Right's Larry Flynt?: Blackmail as a Public Service Announcement

  • Friend Liberty
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      Where Is the Right's Larry Flynt?: Blackmail as a Public Service Announcement

      by Todd Brendan Fahey
      October 1, 2002
      In a span that has seen octogenarian reporter Helen Thomas and Old Left columnist Nat Hentoff posing arguments convincingly more Right than that of Drudge, Rush or O'Reilly, all bets may as well be off: Alice has passed again through the Looking Glass, our Constitution is a meager shred of its majestic self, and the hero we need--far from flavors-of-the-month "conservative" golden boys like Bill Simon or Bret Schundler--is a degenerate warthog.
      This is not about pornography, nor necessarily about Larry Flynt, but a plea to "white hats" amongst our Intelligence community and purveyors of sleaze and dirty secrets alike. I feel a bit like Joe McCarthy, here, but it cannot be helped. Given the shock and cowed acquiescence of the American citizenry, we have in the offing an Imperial Executive and a "bipartisan" Congress which sees fit to establish an Office of Homeland Security (pass the Zyklon-B, would you?), but also to install Gary Condit on its Oversight Committee.
      The best we can hope for, in such a climate, is for one of the "good guys" among our Spooks--or a real scumbucket offered a deal he can't refuse--to come clean and end this cycle of madness.
      Larry Flynt did, with a million-dollar bounty, succeed in chasing out of office fully a House Speaker, his heir-apparent, and a popular chair of the House Budget Committee, proving that there is more than one way to exercise a Recall effort. And I say, as I said then: Bully for him. Newt Gingrich and Bob Livingston had been there too long; Potomac fever had set in, the ladies and cushy appointments within the Council on Foreign Relations just too hard to resist. John Kasich's bat-out-of-hell flight from Congress, at the very height of his power, is a bit more mysterious--but if the stories are to be believed, had something to do with a fondness for those of his own same X/Y chromosomal configuration and a tawdry friendship with Gary Condit...

      [full article here: http://www.friendsofliberty.com]