Re: Libertarian principles

  • maryleane
    Message 1 of 1348 , Feb 1, 2002
      I think it's government that is causing double
      standards in accounting. For tax reasons and to escape the
      wrath of regulations, a company may want to do some
      creative accounting and make it look as if they're making
      very little profit. So, investors tend to put specific
      people in charge. Not people with competence in what the
      company is doing. No, more typically lawyers, economists,
      accountants and graduates in "business studies" who do all
      kinds of tricks in order to make things look clean for
      tax inspectors, regulators and bureaucrats. In the
      end, they are so used to double standards in
      accounting that they also make things look clean for
      shareholders and run away with huge performance bonuses, even
      when the company is at the brink of collapse.
      regulations, causes double standards in accounting. More
      regulations only make things worse. Fraud, theft and other
      property offences are not the cause of all evil. That was
      just an idee fix of classic liberalism. Libertarians
      should argue that free markets are well equipped to
      minimize such problems, without need for intervention from
      government. The root of the problem isn't property offences,
      it's government control itself. <br><br>My two cents.
    • scottbannock
      Message 1348 of 1348 , Apr 7 11:14 AM
        Thanks a lot, I've added it.