Tool to track usage of words and phrases over time

  • Jon Roland
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2010
      Google now has a tool available which tracks words or phrases over time,
      from 1800 to 2000. Not quite ideal for constitutional terms, which would
      need to track back at least another 40 years, but useful enough.

      http://www.npr.org/2010/12/16/132106374/google-book-tool-tracks-cultural-change-with-words

      The viewer is at http://ngrams.googlelabs.com/, which will let you run
      your own searches. Also click on the year spans and see some examples of
      the use of your phrase. There's more information at
      http://wendymcelroy.com/news.php?item.3685.3

      -- Jon

    • Vjklander
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2010
        Pretty kewl tool.
        I typed in 'Reason'. It peaked in 1810 and has gone steadily downhill ever since.
        Vjk