Solar Power Satellites offer energy alternative

  • Jon Roland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2008
      At http://www.constitution.org/eco/sps.htm we have gathered some links
      to an important concept for meeting our energy needs while avoiding the
      dangers of greenhouse gas emission or nuclear proliferation. The concept
      is not new. It was first proposed by Peter Glaser 40 years ago, and much
      research on it has been done by NASA, the space agencies of other
      countries, and numerous private organizations. It is expected that about
      40 such satellites, in geosynchronous orbit, could meet the entire
      world's need for energy at a lower cost than petroleum, natural gas,
      coal, nuclear fission, wind, ocean thermal, tidal, geothermal,
      hydroelectric, and ground-based solar collectors, none of which, alone
      or in combination, can be expected to continue to delivery enough energy
      at a low enough cost to meet the needs for industry, agriculture, or
      transportation, without bringing serious risks that outweigh the benefits.

      Japan is on track to putting the first of such satellites in orbit by
      2040. Whichever nation or corporation provides cheap energy to the world
      will be in a dominant position. If it were the United States we could
      replace our trade deficit with a trade surplus, and end federal deficits.

      The main political opposition to solar power satellites comes from the
      nuclear power industry, which wants to be the lead replacement for
      petroleum. If SPS is to be built this political opposition will need to
      be overcome.

      -- Jon

      Constitution Society 2900 W Anderson Ln C-200-322, Austin, TX 78757
      512/299-5001 www.constitution.org jon.roland@...