Re: The Size and Composition of Government Spending in Multi-Party Systems

  • freecali
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      If there are studies that indicate the opposite, i.e., that PR
      countries favor LOWER government expenditures, I'd love to see them.

      I forwarded the Scartascini and Crain study to two well-regarded
      libertarian economists in academia. One called the findings "robust"
      (which I believe is economese for "solid" ;-) and gave me a link to
      another study by the leading scholars in this literature, which comes
      to a similar conclusion, i.e., that PR countries favor higher
      government expenditures.

      See "Political Institutions and Policy Outcomes: What are the
      Stylized Facts?" by Persson and Tabellini at:
      http://ideas.repec.org/p/igi/igierp/189.html

      I think that this is an important point.

      Consider a PR scenario where the Libertarians get 16% of the vote and
      therefore 16% of the seats in legislative bodies (see the September
      2000 Portrait of America poll), but the legislative majorities are
      anti-liberty.

      Should a libertarian prefer "more liberty" or "more Libertarians in
      office"? Both are not necessarily intertwined.

      The other economist gave a different reply:

      "it seems plausible to me that the need to entice and keep coalitions
      together might result in more expenditures, because more groups would
      have to be enticed to join the coalition. On the other hand, if
      there are enough political parties they might compete with each other
      by agreeing to join coalitions that offer a lower price. My bias is
      that competition among smaller units is better than collusion among
      larger units. If this is not the case in a given real-world context,
      it is probably because there is a countervailing factor that is
      stronger. In the case of Europe, for instance, people still think of
      government as their ancestors did under the monarch: as a loving
      parent that takes care of his children. When I was teaching in
      Belgium I remarked to my colleagues that it was interesting to me
      that Europe, where citizens trust their governments, nurtured the
      likes of Napoleon, Hitler, and Stalin where as the US, where citizens
      are less trusting, reared Washington, Jefferson, and Adams.
      Coincidence? I don't think so."

      So, the point by Gail and this economist about a polity's political
      culture is a good one -- PR may work better in America where there is
      a stronger libertarian tradition.

      Another argument in favor of PR is that more political bargaining
      units (read "more parties") lead to more optimal legislative
      decisionmaking (lower costs, lower error rate).

      See the related charts on pages 278 and 279 in the book "The
      Strategic Constitution," online in PDF at:

      http://www.law.berkeley.edu/faculty/cooterr/PDFpapers/stratcon.PDF

      But again, I think this is a question that libertarians advocating PR
      should keep asking: Does PR advance liberty?

      Rob L.