ISIL pamphlet promotes proportional representation

  • freecali <freecali@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2003
      I saw the ISIL pamphlet, "The Swiss Cantonal System: A Model
      Democracy," at an OPH booth last weekend.

      An excerpt from the pamphlet at
      http://www.isil.org/resources/lit/swiss-canton-system.html follows:

      ***

      The national parliament consists of two houses: the popular house,
      which is elected by proportional representation under a system of free
      lists which allows all shades of political opinion to be expressed;
      and the Council of States, which has two representatives from each
      canton and one from each half-canton, is elected in most cases by a
      simple majority.

      Four political parties dominate the central government. None has
      a clear majority in either house and they are all represented in the
      cabinet (the national executive). Instead of the adversarial system
      common to many democracies, Swiss political groups have to work
      together to achieve consensus.

      ***

      Rob Latham