Hello -- anyone else going to Anaheim?

  • freecali@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2000
      Hi all--

      My apologies for coming late to the party.

      I have scanned the discussion on this listserv and have heard before
      from the ever-anonymous and prolific DEMOREP1@.... ;-)

      I will be in Anaheim from June 29th to July 2nd (and will therefore
      miss the resolutions debate), but I'm interested in putting forward a
      pro-PR resolution or platform amendment (I submitted one at the LP
      NatCon in 1996, but it was tabled when the Executive Committee took
      up the remaining proposed resolutions after the convention).

      Is anyone else going to Anaheim and willing to support a pro-PR
      resolution or platform amendment? If so, please send me e-mail.

      Also, does anyone have a list of state LPs that have passed a pro-PR
      bylaw, platform amendment, or resolution? If so, I'd appreciate
      knowing that as well (I know of Alaska, California, Illinois, and
      Utah).

      Thank you,

      Rob Latham
    • Demorep1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2000
        In a message dated 5/2/00 2:28:11 AM, Mr. Rob Latham wrote:

        <<I have scanned the discussion on this listserv and have heard before
        from the ever-anonymous and prolific DEMOREP1@.... ;-)
        ***
        Is anyone else going to Anaheim and willing to support a pro-PR
        resolution or platform amendment? If so, please send me e-mail.>>
        ----
        D- As to anonymous folks, see
        McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Comm'n, 514 U.S. 334 (1995) on

        http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/

        Like it or not, the current bunch of incumbents in the U.S. Congress and
        every state legislature are mainly anti-democratic monarchial/ oligarchial
        powermad statists (little different than the bunch of folks that were in the
        U.K. Parliament in 1776 who enacted the various U.K. Acts of Parliament
        blasted in the July 4, 1776 D of I). Each incumbent thinks that he/she is
        the elected god/king/queen of *his/her* district/State.

        As to a p.r. resolution (if p.r. is or is not put into the LP Platform) --

        Whereas there are ANTI-democratic election systems for the U.S. Congress and
        every State legislature and many local legislative bodies (due to the use of
        indirect minority rule single member district gerrymanders, plurality winner
        nominees in primaries in 40 States and plurality winners in general elections
        in almost all States) resulting in the enactment of many indirect minority
        rule U.S., State and local laws highly dangerous to the lives, liberties and
        property of the People--

        We, therefore, the representatives of the members of the Libertarian Party of
        the United States of America in Convention assembled, call for DEMOCRACY in
        the United States of America by having proportional representation election
        systems for electing each house of the U.S. Congress, every State legislature
        and every local legislative body in the United States of America to get both
        indirect majority rule and minority representation in each of such
        legislative bodies.
        ------
        P.R. begins at home --- namely getting p.r. into the national LP Bylaws and
        ALL State LP Bylaws.
      • Demorep1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2000
          A Democracy/PR caucus should be formed by Democracy/PR fans at Anaheim..

          It should ask the various LNC and Prez/VP candidates exactly where they stand
          on the issues of Democracy and PR in the LP and in the U.S. and State
          governments.
        • JanetRAnderson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2000
            I agree. I spoke to Gorman last week at the Washington State Convention.
            He seemed to understand PR and favored it. We did not speak in specific
            terms. 4 years ago at same convention I queried Browne. He didn't know up
            from down and didn't seem interested in finding out.
            Janet, Seattle

            > A Democracy/PR caucus should be formed by Democracy/PR fans at Anaheim..
            >
            > It should ask the various LNC and Prez/VP candidates exactly where they
            stand
            > on the issues of Democracy and PR in the LP and in the U.S. and State
            > governments.

            > Save up to 54% on Quest & Kelty tents, backpacks, sleeping bags and
            > outdoor gear. FREE Shipping and a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee at
            > screaminghotdeals.com

            > Libertarian Proportional Representation list

          • Bruce Baechler
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2000
              >A Democracy/PR caucus should be formed by Democracy/PR fans at Anaheim..
              >
              >It should ask the various LNC and Prez/VP candidates exactly where they stand
              >on the issues of Democracy and PR in the LP and in the U.S. and State
              >governments.

              I agree. Let me propose that we meet at the lunch break on the first day at
              the front of the convention hall on the left side as you face the podium.
              If we get together there and then we can then go have lunch and figure
              things out. Or at least set another meeting that's more convenient. We will
              wait at least 15 minutes after the break of the convention before we leave
              anywhere.

              How do others feel about that time and place?
            • higginslp@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , May 7, 2000
                baechler@... writes:

                << I agree. Let me propose that we meet at the lunch break on the first day at
                the front of the convention hall on the left side as you face the podium.
                If we get together there and then we can then go have lunch and figure
                things out. Or at least set another meeting that's more convenient. We will
                wait at least 15 minutes after the break of the convention before we leave
                anywhere.

                How do others feel about that time and place?

                Sounds fine with me.
                LaDonna Higgins