2 LexiLine 2011 Does America Lack a Keen Sense of History?

  • lawpundit
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2012
      2 LexiLine 2011 America Lacks a Sense of History

      This is a group on the history of civilization,

      but what is history to America today?

      Anita Singh, Showbusiness Editor at The Telegraph

      in her article

      Steven Spielberg on War Horse: America has less regard for history

      quotes Steven Spielberg, director of "War Horse":

      "I think my regard for history is more of a European regard for history. Social media has taken over in America to such an extreme that to get my own kids to look back a week in their history is a miracle, let alone 100 years. Europe is closer to history."

      The danger of a people not having a keen sense of history is that they tend to commit the same errors that their ancestors committed before them because they know no better.

      This of course is not a problem limited to America, but is found globally. Wars and conflicts are repeated in the modern age as if nothing has been learned from the past.

      Moreover, in times of trouble, people without historical perspectives see only their own banal problems of the moment.

      They have no clear vision of where the are going and no wise understanding of where they have been.

      Being lost in the jungle is similar.