16 LexiLine 2009 Tsunami due to Santorini Eruption

  • earlofeden12
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2009
      16 LexiLine 2009 Santorini Eruption Tsunami and Exodus

      Dear LexiLiners,

      Below is the Abstract to an article published in the October issue of GEOLOGY .
      doi: 10.1130/G25704A.1    Geology  October 2009   v. 37  no. 10  p. 943-946:

      "Tsunami waves generated by the Santorini eruption reached Eastern Mediterranean shores

         1. Beverly N. Goodman-Tchernov1,2,
         2. Hendrik W. Dey3,
         3. Eduard G. Reinhardt4,
         4. Floyd McCoy5 and
         5. Yossi Mart6

      + Author Affiliations

         1.
            1Leon Charney School of Marine Sciences, Haifa University, Haifa, Israel
         2.
            2Interuniversity Institute for Marine Sciences, Coral Beach, Eilat, Israel
         3.
            3Department of Art, Hunter College, New York, New York 10065, USA
         4.
            4School of Geography and Earth Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario ON L8S, Canada
         5.
            5Geology and Geophysics, University of Hawaii-Windward, Kaneohe, Hawaii 96744, USA, and American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Greece
         6.
            6Recanati School of Maritime Studies, Haifa University, Haifa, Israel

      Abstract

      A sedimentary deposit on the continental shelf off Caesarea Maritima, Israel, is identified, dated, and attributed to tsunami waves produced during the Late Bronze Age (ca. 1630â€"1550 B.C.E.) eruption of Santorini, Greece. The sheet-like deposit was found as a layer as much as 40 cm thick in four cores collected from 10 to 20 m water depths. Particle-size distribution, planar bedding, shell taphoecoensis, dating (radiocarbon, optically stimulated luminescence, and pottery), and comparison of the horizon to more recent tsunamigenic layers distinguish it from normal storm and typical marine conditions across a wide (>1 km2) lateral area. The presence of this deposit is evidence that tsunami waves from the Santorini eruption radiated throughout the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, affecting the coastal people living there. Dates for the tsunami deposit bracket both the so-called “high” and “low” chronology for the Santorini eruption. In addition to resolving the question of the extent of tsunami impact from the Santorini eruption, the research presented also provides a new means of discovering, identifying, and studying continuous records of paleotsunami deposits in the upper shelf coastal environment. The latter is key to understanding past events, better interpreting sedimentological records, and creating stronger models for understanding tsunami propagation, coastal management, and hazard preparation worldwide.

          *
                o Received 25 November 2008."
                o Revision received 27 May 2009.
                o Accepted 27 May 2009.

          * © 2009 Geological Society of America"

      Obviously, "evidence" of this tsunami would therefore be found in ancient sources and the parting of the waves during the Hebrew "Exodus" is the most likely candidate.

    • polestar101
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hi Andis – Many years ago I had suggested to my students the remote possibility that Moses' famous "parting of the sea" might have been due to the explosion on Thera – so I chuckled when I saw your mention of the possibility. Of course such a belief requires quite a bit of selective "mything", and a location other than the Red Sea (sea of reeds?). If it really happened when Moses raised his hands and called the Lord – that is one heck of a coincidence! It is easier to believe that Moses was an avatar that commanded the elements than accept the idea that his timing was so fortuitous! Just think, if he tried to cross on any other day there would likely be no Israelites in Palestine today and the whole history of the Middle East would be different.

        --- In LexiLine@yahoogroups.com, "earlofeden12" <a1ndiskaulins@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > to resolving the question of the extent of tsunami impact from the
        > Santorini eruption, the research presented also provides a new means of
        > discovering, identifying, and studying continuous records of
        > paleotsunami deposits in the upper shelf coastal environment. The latter
        > is key to understanding past events, better interpreting
        > sedimentological records, and creating stronger models for understanding
        > tsunami propagation, coastal management, and hazard preparation
        > worldwide.
        >
        > *
        > o Received 25 November 2008."
        > o Revision received 27 May 2009.
        > o Accepted 27 May 2009.
        >
        > * © 2009 Geological Society of America"
        >
        > Obviously, "evidence" of this tsunami would therefore be found in
        > ancient sources and the parting of the waves during the Hebrew "Exodus"

      • earlofeden12
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
          There is no doubt that the "sea of reeds" was Fayyum. The idea that the Red Sea was involved in the Exodus is a "myth" erroneously propounded by clueless mainstream archaeologists and equally confounded Biblical scholars having zero idea what they were or are talking about. I wish a gigantic wastebasket existed into which all of that kind of "Biblical scholarship" could be tossed to free the world of such nonsense. 99% of what the theologians, religious fanatics and related disciplines have written about the Bible and similar religious works is just the worst kind of superstitious, non-critical babble - pure veritably retarded junk. Those of us who still command our intellect can only look at the world aghast at the existing religious idiocies, which dominate the daily news.

          I am also perplexed as to why people perist on taking Biblical "prophecies" so literally. It is quite clear throughout the Bible that important events - AFTER THE FACT OF THEIR OCCURRENCE - were ascribed to prophecies allegedly made prior to event by sages later trying to obtain maximal personal marketing value out of the events described. Moroever, many historical events were embellished, as they still are today, to include natural disasters or other events that happened in the same or nearly contemporaneous time period. There is a whole field of cognitive psychology devoted to what man remembers, why and how he does so, etc., but you can be sure that the word cognition is a foreign concept to most people in this field.