21 LexiLine 2007 Rotherwas Serpent in England is Astronomy

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9 5:19 AM
      21 LexiLine 2007 Rotherwas Serpent in England is Astronomy

      Dear LexiLiners,

      Via Archaeo News, the International Herald Tribune , Megalithic.co.uk  and especially
      the Monterey Herald and RotherwasRibbon.com  (the latter two of which have pictures), we discover that archaeologists have found a ca. 65-yard (ca. 60 meter) serpentine figure on a mound near Mondiford and the juncture of the rivers Wye and Lugg in Herefordshire, England. The 3-D serpentine figure, which has subsequently been named the "Rotherwas Ribbon", a name long applied to the area in which it was found, is perhaps more accurately called by its alternative name, "The Rotherwas Serpent", being similar to the Serpent Mound in Ohio  in the USA, the largest such serpent mound in North America.

      There is no question in our mind that the Rotherwas Serpent is a hermetic ("as above, so below") representation on land of a stellar figure seen by the ancients in the stars of the heavens, i.e. a heavenly serpent.  Indeed, the name "roth-er-was" surely involves a confusion with and mixture of Gaelic naeth(er)  "serpent" and Gaelic ooir wass  "subsoil", i.e. "the serpent mound".

      As I have written on page 1 of my book, Stars Stones and Scholars :

      "All Neolithic sites in England and Wales, as marked on the Ordnance Survey map of Ancient Britain, form a map projection of the stars of the northern and southern heavens, with the center of the system at Herefordshire Beacon near Midsummer Hill and Wynd's Point."

      Since the Rotherwas Serpent is located a mere 20 miles or so away from the Herefordshire Beacon, it is likely that the Rotherwas Serpent (dated to be older than the British Camp at the Herefordshire Beacon) is an alternative, probably older mark for the center of this system at the stars of Draco, the celestial serpent.

      If this were actually so, the Rotherwas Serpent would be of incalculable value for the history of  Ancient Britain and for the history of astronomy.

      We read now with horror that there are plans to destroy the site  by building a road through it :

      "The Rotherwas Ribbon,named for the area in which it was found, lies in the path of theplanned highway and will be encased in a protective structure beneath the road once it is built."

      There is already a Rotherwas Ribbon Campaign website established to save the Rotherwas Serpent and we can only hope that it will successful. Please go to that website and see what you can do to help to stop this madness in the United Kingdom (and elsewhere) of the destruction of invaluable ancient megalithic archaeological sites.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2007

        I received the following letter from the UK Department of Culture, Media and Sport

        RANSON GERRY <GERRY.RANSON@...>
        Sent : Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:09 PM
        To : <kaulinsandis@...>
        Subject : CMS 75510 Rotherwas Ribbon

        Dear Mr Kaulins,

        Thank you for your email of 9 July about the preservation of the 'Rotherwas Ribbon' site.  I have been asked to reply.
        Under current legislation, adding a site to the Schedule of Monuments is the only legal protection specifically for archaeological sites, although there are alternatives to scheduling such as using the system of local authority control over planning applications to ensure that any development proposals take archaeology fully into account.  Scheduling is applied only to sites of national importance, and even then only if it is the best means of protection.  Decisions on national importance are guided by criteria laid down by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport and cover the basic characteristics of monuments. These are:

          • extent of survival
          • current condition
          • rarity
          • representivity, either through diversity or because of one important attribute
          • importance of the period to which the monument dates
          • fragility
          • connection to other monuments, or group value
          • potential to contribute to our information, understanding and appreciation
          • extent of documentation enhancing the monument's significance

        As expert advisors to the DCMS, English Heritage takes the lead in identifying sites in England which should be placed on the schedule by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.  DCMS has asked English Heritage to consider and advise the Secretary of State about whether the site of the 'Rotherwas Ribbon' should be placed on the schedule.  English Heritage Inspectors visited the site on the afternoon of 9 July.  A decision on scheduling will be taken in due course and will be informed by further analysis and interpretation of the site.

        In the meantime, the remains are very fragile, and while English Heritage agrees with Herefordshire Council that controlled public access should be afforded, they will ensure the local authority covers the remains to protect them from bad weather.  In the long term, English Heritage considers that this is a significant find worthy of being fully recorded for future research and protected in-situ.  Each part of the find is very fragile and by keeping the remains in their context they can help us understand how people used to live in this landscape setting.  English Heritage will make sure the local authority has access to its expertise in this process.

        Yours sincerely,
        Gerry Ranson

        Gerry Ranson

        Central Information & Briefing Unit
        Department of Culture, Media & Sport
        2-4 Cockspur Street
        London  SW1Y 5DH

        0207 211 6179
        www.culture.gov.uk

        DCMS aims to improve the quality of life for all through cultural and sporting activities, to support the pursuit of excellence and to champion the tourism, creative and leisure industries.

        This email and its contents are the property of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please delete it.

        All DCMS e-mail is recorded and stored for a minimum period of 6 months.

        The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet Anti-Virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2006/04/0007.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free. Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.