55 LexiLine Newsletter 2005 The Cult of Horus Nr. 1

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2005
      55 LexiLine Newsletter 2005 The Cult of Horus Nr. 1

      The Origin of the Cult of Horus in Predynastic Egypt
      by ANDIS KAULINS [1,2] [footnotes are in brackets]

      I. Introduction: The Extern Stones (Externsteine) and the Falcon
      Stone (Falkenstein)

      "Star Stones: Representations of Prehistoric Astronomy in the Extern
      Stones" was a paper I presented on May 6, 2005 in Horn/Bad Meinberg,
      Germany, near the location of the Extern Stones, to the 39th annual
      meeting of the Walther Machalett Study Group on Ancient History. That
      paper developed a hypothesis which I first published in the book
      Stars Stones and Scholars,([3] claiming that the Extern Stones had
      been worked by human hand in the Neolithic period (New Stone Age) and
      that the figures in relief on the stones represented the stars of the
      heavens, marking also the solstices and equinoxes in approximately
      3000 B.C.

      Others have seen faces carved in relief on the Extern Stones long
      before my recognition of them.[4] However, no one has known what
      meaning to attach to these sculptures. My interpretation of these
      reliefs showed that they were ancient "humanized" representations of
      stellar asterisms and constellations, which were seen as
      astronomical "gods" by the ancients.

      I also interpreted the "Falcon Stone" (Falkenstein), Rock 11 of the
      Extern Stones, as depicting stars of the heavens. These stars were:
      1) the stars of the constellation Draco, represented by a lizard,
      marking the pole of the ecliptic; and, 2) the stars Kochab and
      Pherkad of Ursa Minor as "guards of the heavens", marking the pole
      star as a falcon (the Egyptian "Horus").

      It is interesting to observe that the figure of a lizard (or dragon,
      or crocodile) on the Falcon Stone (Rock 11, Extern Stones) had
      already been identified by Walther Machalett previous to my
      independent recognition of it. This circumstance of a match of
      independent observations by two persons (reproducibility, as it were)
      gave me the feeling that my identifications of the other figures on
      the Falcon Stone were also correct.
      __________
      [footnotes to this first page of the Cult of Horus]
      1. J.D. (Doctor of Jurisprudence), Stanford University, USA; Former
      Lecturer, FFA, Anglo-American Law, University of Trier Law School,
      University of Trier.
      2. The author would like to thank Dr.jur. Gert Meier (Law,
      Government, History and Modern Languages, University of Göttingen;
      former NATO Scholar at Stanford University) for important
      contributions to the content of this manuscript.
      3. Andis Kaulins, Stars Stones and Scholars: The Decipherment of the
      Megaliths as an Ancient Survey of the Earth by Astronomy, Trafford
      Publishing, Canada, USA and Ireland, 2003. See
      http://www.trafford.com/4dcgi/robots/03-1722.html.
      4. See Elisabeth Neumann-Gundrum, Europas Kultur der
      Groß-Skulpturen,
      Schmitz-Verlag, Giessen, 1981. See
      http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/398022354X/ and Walter
      Machalett, Die Externsteine, Hallonen-Verlag, Maschen, 1970.

      [end of page 1]