Thanks Darlene!

  • Prairie Primitives Folk Art
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2013
      Darlene wrote: "I second what Diann said....besides it's easier to look for
      a job when you have one. You feel less pressure and I think some employers
      look more favorably on someone that is already employed."

      Yeah, I've always heard that too. My last real (permanent) job ended in
      2009, when I was laid off due to lack of seniority (damn unions!). I've
      only had a 6-month temp gig since then, and that was last year. I'm
      registered with several temp agencies but, for the most part, they only
      want to pay me $10 or $11 an hour ... and I can't live on that in
      California! So I've been scraping by with my art and UI.

      I've now sent out 39 resumes in the last 3 weeks. This is the biggest
      resume blitz I've ever done, but when I discovered that I was in "Rank 3"
      for one of the State job classifications that I'm qualified for, that's
      what got me going! They can (supposedly) only hire from the top 3 ranks. My
      exam score was 95 (missed ONE question!) But there are about 600 other
      people in Rank 3 too ... and about 100 more (total) in Ranks 1 & 2. I'd
      love to know the numbers for how many resumes are received for any of the
      jobs I'm applying for, as well as how many people they've invited to
      interview!

      Tana
      http://PrairiePrimitives.etsy.com