Re: Rand Paul proves himself to be scumbag yet again

  • George H. Smith
    Message 1 of 86 , Aug 24, 2013

      If I come across a drowning person, I don't know his moral history.  What should I do?

      The following is not quite on point, but close enough.

      Ghs

      The Monk and the Jew

      by Thomas Paine

      An unbelieving Jew one day

      Was skating o’er the icy way,

      Which being brittle let him in,

      Just deep enough to catch his chin;

      And in that woful plight he hung,

      With only power to move his tongue.

      A brother skater near at hand,

      A Papist born in foreign land,

      With hasty strokes directly flew

      To save poor Mordecai the Jew -

      “But first,” quoth he, “I must enjoin

      That you renounce your faith for mine;

      There’s no entreaties else will do,

      ‘Tis heresy to help a Jew –”

      “Forswear mine fait! No! Cot forbid!

      Dat would be very base indeed,

      Come never mind such tings as deeze,

      Tink, tink, how fery hard it freeze.

      More coot you do, more coot you be,

      Vat signifies your faith to me?

      Come tink agen, how cold and vet,

      And help me out von little bit.”

      “By holy mass, ’tis hard, I own,

      To see a man both hang and drown,

      And can’t relieve him from his plight

      Because he is an Israelite;

      The Church refuses all assistance,

      Beyond a certain pale and distance;

      And all the service I can lend

      Is praying for your soul, my friend.”

      “Pray for my soul, ha! ha! You make me laugh.

      You petter help me out py half:

      Mine soul I farrant vill take care,

      To pray for her own self, my tear:

      So tink a little now for me,

      ’Tis I am in de hole not she.”

      “The Church forbids it, friend, and saith

      That all shall die who had no faith.”

      “Vell, if I must peblieve, I must.

      But help me out von little first.”

      “No, not an inch without Amen

      That seals the whole” – “Vell, hear me den,

      I here renounce for coot and all

      De race of Jews both great and small;

      ’Tis de vurst trade peneath the sun,

      Or vurst religion; dat’s all von.

      Dey cheat, and get deir living py’t,

      And lie, and swear the lie is right.

      I’ll co to mass as soon as ever

      I get to toder side the river.

      So help me out, dow Christian friend,

      Dat I may do as I intend.”

      “Perhaps you do intend to cheat,

      If once you get upon your fee.”

      “No, no, I do intend to be

      A Christian, such as one as dee.”

      For, thought the Jew, he is as much

      a Christian man as I am such.

      The bigot Papist joyful hearted

      To hear the heretic converted,

      Replied to the designing Jew,

      “This was a happy fall for you:

      You’d better die a Christian now,

      For if you live you’ll break your vow.”

      Then said no more, but in trice

      Popp’d Mordecai beneath the ice.

    • Jay Hailey
      Message 86 of 86 , Aug 27, 2013

        If you think the response should be proportional, then you were incorrect in your asserton previously that stepping onto your yard entitles  you to kill a person.

        How do I enforce it, if I think a response should be proportional?

        Is proportionality a preference or a principle?