Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Re: Cato Essay #71

    Message 1 of 134 , Apr 11, 2013
      Except when they got drunk and argued. The cops had to called in quote often, I've read.

       My short story "Residue" now available for Kindle at:

      On Apr 7, 2013, at 8:10 PM, J Olson <jlolson53@...> wrote:

      Well, that's a pretty persuasive point - that the two were friends - re Mises' interpretation of Menger's ideas.  You wouldn't expect people who knew each other well to argue without some substance in their differences...

      Jeff

      On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM, George H. Smith <smikro@...> wrote:
      JeffO,

      You are correct, which is why Mises characterized Menger’s dichotomy as “pointless.” Mises believed that Menger’s overall treatment of value was consistent with subjectivism, but that he slipped up occasionally.

      But Mises seemed to have a more serious objection to comments that Menger included in the 2nd edition of Principles. Mises called the following statement by Menger a “notorious slip”: “Rational theory and practical economics will have to enter into the investigation of real wants, i.e., wants which correspond to the objective state of affairs.”

      Mises was a friend of Menger’s, and was intimately familiar with his work. I therefore tend to trust Mises’s interpretation of his theory of value.

      Ghs