[I-S] "We'd be all right if we'd just leave them alone...."

  • Bruce Majors
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------

      Oddly enough, this never occurred to me as explaining Mr. Magoo and other seemingly simple-minded (at least on this issue) folk....

      "One reason people might want to blame American militarism for creating our foreign policy problems is that people don't like being scared, and engaging in domestic politics is less scary than fighting a foreign war. A friend described this as people wanting Mommy to reassure them that, "No, Virginia, there really aren't any scary monsters under the bed." If everything is our fault, all we have to do is leave everyone else alone, and all of our problems will go away."

      From a weblog posting, "Midrash for Yet Another Space Alien Cult," by Peter A. Taylor. He posits a couple more possible reasons for the belief, but this one really did strike a chord with me.

      [The whole long page is interesting (and has lots of links), though I don't agree with all his points (and probably not with his overall view either). He says he's an atheist, but attends a Unitarian Universalist Church, which is largely populated by hard, as well as some more squishy, leftists, and has nothing to do with Christianity.]

      http://home.earthlink.net/~peter.a.taylor/midrash.htm

      --J.

    • Scott Bieser
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
        On 1/1/2013 4:12 AM, Bruce Majors wrote:

        Oddly enough, this never occurred to me as explaining Mr. Magoo and other seemingly simple-minded (at least on this issue) folk....

        "One reason people might want to blame American militarism for creating our foreign policy problems is that people don't like being scared, and engaging in domestic politics is less scary than fighting a foreign war. A friend described this as people wanting Mommy to reassure them that, "No, Virginia, there really aren't any scary monsters under the bed." If everything is our fault, all we have to do is leave everyone else alone, and all of our

        Well of course, and The Netherlands' pacifism is why they keep getting attacked every Sept. 11th.

        --
        -- Scott Bieser
        Illustrator, Cartoonist, Designer