Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Greek govt going to keep on spending

  • Dan Clore
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      On 10/31/2012 10:26 AM, Dan Ust wrote:

      > http://reason.com/blog/2012/10/31/new-greek-budget-projects-an-huge-increa
      >
      > No doubt, the so called anarchists there will feel the government
      > should be spending even more.

      The spending increases are all to repay the Greek govt's debt to foreign
      creditors (the EU, IMF, and European Central Bank) for loans used to
      bail out the rich and powerful. The so-called anarchists there opposed
      the loans and the bailouts in the first place, so they probably don't
      think they should be repaid. The new budget plan does also include a lot
      of austerity measures demanded by the foreign creditors, and the
      so-called anarchists there have of course expressed opposition to these
      in the past, both the new taxes and the cuts in social welfare.

      Assuming that the so-called anarchists there had their way on all of
      these things, overall spending would be far lower. But the so-called
      anarchists there don't call for immediate cuts in social welfare
      measures, and therefore fail the Dan Ust Anarchist & Libertarian Purity
      Test, so let's just say that they want the government to spend more,
      period. I mean, so what if that means accusing them of wanting more of
      what they've opposed all along?

      --
      Dan Clore

      http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
      http://tinyurl.com/8puuzuc
      Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
      http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

    • Joshua Katz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
        In this case, I see two evils, but, unlike most such cases, a clear "lesser evil."  Turning a country over entirely to bankers who then form their own government is the worst of all worlds.

        In other words - the Greek government behaved like most governments, and the bankers will willing to finance it.  Traditionally, bankers issuing loans take on risk.  The bankers now demand that they be absolved of all risk, and empowered to take the place over to ensure that they are paid.  I disagree.