Robert Anton Wilson

  • Jesse Walker
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
      One of R.A. Wilson's old *New Libertarian* columns, now online.
      Channeling Timothy Leary's theories, Wilson sets out to classify 8 kinds
      of libertarians:

      http://www.rawillumination.net/2011/08/eight-kinds-of-libertarians-by-robert.html

      Eight Kinds of Libertarians
      by Robert Anton Wilson
      New Libertarian Weekly, Feb. 6, 1977

      I propose that there are eight kinds of libertarians and that
      understanding the differences would clarify much of the debate between
      factions.

      The Biosurvival Circuit is activated as soon as DNA life is established
      on a planet. This is the most primitive level of consciousness (3 1/2
      billion years old) and scans only for signals indicating safety
      (security, warmth, food) or danger (threat, isolation, withdrawal of
      nurture). This circuit is recapitulated in the first days of infancy and
      takes a basic biosurvival imprint which lasts for life. In ordinary
      nontechnical language this circuit is called Will.

      The libertarian who has taken his heaviest imprint on this circuit will
      be obsessed with defense-and-attack on the most basic level of
      life-and-death struggle against competing organisms. Anarcho-fascists,
      Sadeans, Stirnerites and vulgarizers of Nietzsche fit this first circuit
      imprint pattern.

      2. The Emotional Circuit is formed as soon as life forms become
      complicated enough to exert effort against gravity, rear up and compete
      for territory or status. This appeared with the first amphibians around
      500,000,000 years ago. This circuit is recapitulated when the infant
      starts to walk, send emotional signals by Body Language (kinesics) and
      struggles for a decision-making role in family politics. (All parents
      know this imprint period as "the difficult years.") Once again, the
      initial imprint tends to remain a lifelong emotional game strategy.

      In ordinary language, this circuit, pre-occupied with mammalian
      politics, is called the Ego. Its unconscious aspects are the Id of
      Freud; Berne calls is the Adapted Child.

      Libertarians who have taken their strongest imprint on this circuit will
      tend toward conservatism, join the Libertarian Party and get embroiled
      in elections, or become Objectivists.

      The first circuit is obsessed with survival in a Darwinian sense; the
      second circuit with territory and status, i.e. Ego-tripping.

      3. The third circuit appeared with the emergence of hominid nervous
      systems about 1,000,000 years ago. Right-handedness, domination of the
      brain by the linear left hemisphere and the use of the nine laryngeal
      muscles for signaling concrete and abstract ideas (language) make up
      this Symbolic Circuit. It is activated when the child begins handling,
      manipulating and altering artifacts, and also asking questions such as,
      "What is this called? How do you use this?"

      In popular speech, this circuit is called the Mind. Eric Berne calls it
      the Adult or Computer.

      (In Star Trek land, the first circuit is Scotty, brooding
      pessimistically over life-support and weapons systems; the second
      circuit is McCoy, the expert on tribal decorum; and the third circuit,
      of course, is Spock.)

      Libertarians who take their strongest imprint on the third circuit
      remain obsessed with logic, linear processes, symbolic constructs,
      science. Typical examples are Bucky Fuller, the semanticist Korzykski,
      John Stuart Mill. These types never get involved in politics and tend to
      regard second circuit politics as sub-human.

      The transition from the mammalian second circuit to the hominid third
      circuit is beautifully portrayed in 2001, when Moon-Watcher picks up the
      bone and realizes he can use it as a tool. The quick transitions from
      the bone flying through the air to the L5 space colony illustrates the
      extreme rapidity of change on any planet after the third circuit begins
      operating.

      We have said that life and the first circuit is 3 1/2 billion years old
      and the hominid third circuit only one million, but these figures are
      too large to *feel*. Try it this way: divide by 10 million and make a
      model by which this planet is only 100 years old, and begin in 1576.
      Then, life and the first circuit began around 1626. The emotional
      circuit appeared with vertebrate life about 1926. The hominid third
      circuit appeared one month ago, and modern science ten minutes ago.

      This rapid acceleration after third circuit symbolism appears was called
      time-binding by Korzybski.

      4. The Domestic Circuit appeared with the domestication of humanity
      about 30,000 years ago. (On our 400-year model scale, that would be
      about 16 hours ago.) This circuit imprints the sexual apparatus for
      socially useful purposes. (For further details on this domestication
      process, see Marcuse, Eros and Civilization, and Wilhelm Reich, passim.)
      This is recapitulated in each individual when the chemical releasers of
      pubescence activate the sex-mating drives, and imprinting this energy
      with the local taboo system creates the Adult Personality, (Freud's
      Super-Ego, Berne's Parent.)

      Since this circuit consists of taboo systems sublimated out of powerful
      erotic energies, the fourth-circuit libertarian is a driven and
      compulsive Super-Ego figure. ("He's making a list and checking it twice.
      He's gonna find out who's naughty or nice.") Utopian, psychologically
      authoritarian and always convinced SHe is the one mature personality in
      any group, this type appears both in the camp of fanatic militarism and
      fanatic pacifism; e.g. Heinlein and Joan Baez both seem to be fourth
      circuit libertarians.

      (Very few fourth circuit types become libertarians actually, and Maoism
      is the ultimate fourth circuit domestication. On the Enterprise, Kirk is
      the fourth circuit type.)

      5. The fifth neurological circuit, according to Leary's Exo-Psychology,
      is for extraterrestrial life and, hence, has only appeared in random
      mutants until recently. It is the Neurosomatic Circuit and mediates
      biosurvival in zero-gravity. 85 percent of all astronauts have described
      "mystical" experiences which are actually fifth circuit "highs" similar
      to the dhyana state in Hatha Yoga or the Turn On you get from
      neurotransmitters in the cannabis family. Freud called this circuit "the
      oceanic experience."

      Neurosomatic rapture transcends the dualisms of the first four circuits,
      reverses figure and ground (often in humorous ways) and is appropriately
      called *spacing* or *floating* in popular speech.

      Sex and dope cults such as Tantra in India, the Yezidis in the Near
      East, the Gnostic and Illuminati heresies in Europe, hippiedom, etc.,
      represents fifth circuit libertarianism. "You can't do good until you
      feel good" (Leary's translation of Lao-Tse) is their basic motto. They
      are detached from, and amused by, the dualisms of the first four
      circuits -- the forward-back of biosurvival fight-or-flight patterns,
      the up-down of emotional politics, the either-or of symbolic logic, the
      naughty or nice of local taboo systems.

      6. The sixth circuit is Neuroelectrical or psionic intelligence: direct
      awareness and control of Brain functioning. In premature infants, this
      produces space-time singularities, synchronicities, ESP, and a sense
      that one is living in a sci-fi story of parallel worlds.

      Since this circuit is the point at which brain functioning moves more
      into the right lobe than the left, its purpose has to do with our future
      evolution and sixth circuit libertarians are extremely rare thus far;
      one is more likely to encounter them in fiction than in fact. Conchis,
      in John Fowles' The Magus, is one example; Hagbard Celine, another.
      Krishnamurti's slogan, "Be an Individual," is *in Krishnamurti's
      context* a sixth circuit libertarian exhortation. Crowley's notorious
      saying, "God is the enemy of Man" is another sixth circuit signal, as
      was Proudhon's antitheism (as distinguished from atheism.)

      7. The Neurogenetic Circuit involves direct access to the DNA archives:
      Jung's "collective unconscious" made conscious. The seventh circuit
      libertarian is an Evolutionary Agent, a conspirator in the vast DNA plot
      to achieve Higher Intelligence, Immortality, Supreme Bliss and the
      gratification of all desires.

      When Leary was operating on the sixth circuit, he said, "The body is the
      car; the DNA is the driver." When he graduated to the seventh circuit,
      he said, "The nervous system is the car; the DNA is the driver." Again,
      the type is so rare that the prototypes are found more in fiction than
      in life -- all of Kazansakis's heroes, especially Odysseus in his sequel
      to the Odyssey; Prometheus and Daedalus in mythology; Gilgamesh
      renouncing kingship and all the world to search for immortality; Buddha
      renouncing all to see Truth.

      A classic seventh circuit libertarian is Giordano Bruno, burned by the
      Catholic Church in February 1600, but the pioneer of modern science and
      modern Western occultism. (See Frances Yates, Giordano Bruno and the
      Hermetic Tradition.) A more modern example is Wilhelm Reich, before he
      wigged out.

      8. Thae highest circuit is Metaphysiological (not metaphysical). This is
      evolving toward synergetic interlock of galactic higher intelligences
      into one unified energy field free of body container. (The "Atman" or
      "Overmind" of mystical literature.) Metaphysiological is out-of-the
      body, out of space-time, literally infinite.

      The formula for opening the 8th circuit is SMI2LE, which means Space
      Migration + Intelligence (squared) + Life Extension. Space Migration and
      Life Extension are clear enough, I trust, but Intelligence Squared
      perhaps requires a word of clarification. It means
      intelligence-studying-intelligence, i.e. Dr. John Lilly's
      self-metaprogramming biocomputer.

      All of the 8th circuit libertarians known to me are unindicted
      co-conspirators in Leary's Starseed project, which aims to accomplish
      the SMI2LE mutation in this generation.
    • Scott Bieser
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        For more on the Metaphysiological Circuit, see my web-comic, QUANTUM
        VIBE. http://www.quantumvibe.com

        But please be patient -- it's going to take a few years for this
        serialized story to play out.

        --
        -- Scott Bieser
        Read my web-comic "QUANTUM VIBE" at www.quantumvibe.com
      • Jesse Walker
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 3, 2011
          Earlier I wrote:

          > One of R.A. Wilson's old *New Libertarian* columns, now online.
          > Channeling Timothy Leary's theories, Wilson sets out to classify 8 kinds
          > of libertarians:
          >
          > http://www.rawillumination.net/2011/08/eight-kinds-of-libertarians-by-robert.html

          And here is his follow-up column:

          http://www.rawillumination.net/2011/08/noble-eight-fold-path-by-robert-anton.html

          The Noble Eight-Fold Path
          by Robert Anton Wilson
          New Libertarian Weekly, March 13, 1977

          In my previous column, I distinguished eight types of libertarians. To
          recapitulate:

          1. The bio-survival libertarian, or anarcho-fascist, is Darwinian,
          anxiously and bitterly aware of being involved in a life-or-death struggle.

          2. The emotional libertarian, or mammalian politician, is concerned with
          capturing territory and status; SHe is the emotional game-player, the
          Oneupmanship expert.

          3. The symbolic libertarian, or Mr. Spock, is obsessed with logic,
          linear processes, mechanism and rationality.

          4. The domesticated libertarian is the Utopian moralist, determined to
          right all wrongs and establish pure Justice everywhere.

          5. The neurosomatic libertarian is your basic Hippie or Tantric yogin,
          i.e. the Hedonic Engineer.

          6. The neuroelectric libertarian is the Black Magician (so-called), i.e.
          the Head Tripper free of all categories. "Nobody knows who I am or what
          I do, not even myself," says Don Juan to Carlos Castaneda, perfectly
          defining this type from inside.

          7. The neurogenetic libertarian is an Evolutionary Agent, dedicated not
          just to freeing hirself or humanity from political authoritarianism but
          to freeing life from all limits of space, time or death.

          8. The metaphysiological libertarian is operating at de Chardin's Omega
          Point, at one with all metaphysiological libertarians throughout
          space-time and beyond space time. (In mtystical literature these types
          are known as the Secret Chiefs, the Bodhisattvas or the Illuminati.)

          These eight types are determined by statistically random imprints that
          are bonded into the nervous system at moments of imprint vulnerability.
          (See ethology and Dr. Leary's Exo-Psychology for further details on
          that.) The random element is part of the DNA blueprint (or "Mother
          Nature's plan," to be folksy about it) to ensure that we remain a
          diversified species.

          Thus, there are eight kinds of authoritarians, also. Eight kinds of men.
          Eight kinds of women. Eight kinds of Armenians. Eight kinds of Italians.
          Eight kinds of Buddhists. Etc.

          Imprint vulnerability is coded into the DNA tapes so that, for example,
          the newborn gosling is vulnerable to imprinting a protective mother
          entity immediately after hatching. The random element enters because,
          during the vulnerable period, anything roughly matching the genetic
          archetype will be imprinted. Thus, Lorenz reports a gosling that
          imprinted a ping-pong ball and followed it about attempting to nest with
          it and vocalizing to it as it would toward a real Mother Goose.
          Evidently, the fact that the pingpong ball has a round white body, like
          a Mother Goose, was enough to trigger the genetic imprinting process.

          Similarly, Ardrie reports a newborn giraffe which imprinted a jeep,
          which it subsequently attempted to nurse from and followed around with
          imploring cries. Here the four wheels of the jeep evidently passed the
          scanners as the same signal normally transmitted by the four-legged Mama
          Giraffe.

          In the past 6000 years domesticated humanity has been herded into vast
          urban hives at repetitious and stereotyped tasks, a process we
          optimistically call civilization. As in the ant-hive, these human hives
          have often kept a slave population and made war on other hives.
          Obviously, the total insectoid society of Maoism is the highest, most
          complex form of this fourth neurogenetic circuit. Humanity has been
          temporarily evolving away from the mammalian norm and toward the insectile.

          (Frank Herbert's Hellstrom's Hive is a magnificent SF saga extending the
          process a few steps beyond even Mao.)

          If this is the "civilized" norm, then all libertarians are, in some
          sense, rebels against civilization, i.e. against domestication.

          The first circuit libertarian is rebelling backward to an early
          evolutionary stage; hence, the fierce Darwinian rhetoric in Stirner and
          libertarians of this type.

          The second circuit emotional libertarian is rebelling backward also, but
          toward a more recent evolutionary stage, the mammalian pack or
          hunting-warrior band.

          All political parties are basically hunting-warrior bands adapting
          themselves to the fourth circuit domesticated hive. Second circuit
          libertarians flock to parties and conspire endless to capture control of
          the hive and "set it free." This is like plotting to take over a
          whorehouse and set the whores and customers "free" to practice chastity.
          That is, people who want chastity are not in whorehouses and people who
          want freedom are not in domesticated hives.

          Third circuit libertarians, whose patron God is Daedalus, are always
          plotting to engineer a libertarian hive by creating the perfect logical
          model of what is desired and teaching its value to others. This is based
          on the error of assuming everybody else is, or should be, a third
          circuit computer like Mr. Spock.

          Fourth circuit libertarians are in a particularly ambiguous position
          since the fourth circuit is inherently hive-oriented. These types become
          anarcho-communist mystics, vegetarians, etc. and are usually to be found
          in mini-hives some hundreds of miles from the nearest macro-hive,
          practicing their own "libertarian" version of typical hive-taboo morality.

          Fifth circuit libertarians turn on, tune in and drop out. They sometimes
          enter fourth circuit mini-hives briefly but as soon as they recognize
          the local taboo system as a permutation or combination of those of the
          macro-hives, they leave and float elsewhere. Probably, they will
          eventually float off the earth entirely to establish Tantric "Heavenly
          Cities" in space. Imagine a micro-L5 designed along the lines of Hassan
          i Sabbah's Garden of Delights and you get my idea of where fifth circuit
          libertarianism is going.

          Sixth circuit libertarians are the allies of the future. Where circuits
          I to V identify the imprinted neural construct with "reality," the sixth
          circuit type participates consciously in the process of selecting
          alternative "realities." (Gurdjieff called this Self-Remembering; John
          Lilly calls is "self-metaprogramming.") By the standards of the earlier
          circuits, the sixth circuit libertarian appears to be a magician, a
          witch, a weirdo or perhaps a practical joker or clown. To hirself, the
          sixth circuit libertarian is engaged in freemasonry (to use that
          mystical term correctly for once), i.e. synergetic co-creation of new
          realities, Guerrilla ontology, Discordianism.

          Seventh circuit libertarians are Taoistic, alchemical, hermetic
          Evolutionary Agents. When Camus writes, "If a mass death sentence
          defines the human condition, rebellion is its consequence," he is
          defining seventh circuit libertarianism.

          If fifth and sixth circuit libertarians seem spooky, few or crazy to
          fourth-circuit domesticated hive dwellers, seventh circuit types seem
          absolutely diabolical. The archetypes are Satan, Prometheus, Dr.
          Faustus, Baron Frankenstein, all the mad scientists in all the kitsch
          classics who refused to be stopped by fourth circuit moralists warning
          them, "There are things Man was not meant to tamper with."

          If an ideal fourth-circuit hive could be built on libertarian lines
          (e.g. Dante's earth paradise), the seventh-circuit libertarian would
          scornfully leave on the next starship. SHe would visit a fifth circuit
          Garden of Delights for a week's vacation occasionally, but wouldn't
          dream of living there. A sixth circuit psionic circus (e.g. what fourth
          circuit types call miracles, synchronicities or parapsychological
          phenomena) would amuse hir for only two or three weeks. SHe is in search
          of nothing less than transcending the boundaries of time and space.

          When Socrates drank the hemlock he acted out the greatest Zen koan in
          the history of the West. He was exemplifying his adoration of seventh
          circuit evolutionary values over first circuit bio-survival. Those who
          credit his act to bravery or stubbornness have not understood it.

          (See the eleuthyria chapter of Fowles' great novel, The Magus.)

          Eighth circuit libertarians, having transcended time and space, live
          already in the future. Dogen Zengi, saying "Time is three eyes and seven
          elbows." Chuang-Tse saying, "There is no governor anywhere." (What a
          glorious precognition of cybernetic biology and the quantum
          inseparability principle!) Crowley's notorious "Do what thou wilt shall
          be the whole of the law." As a Zen classic defines this type, "He walks
          through the village, shirt open, grinning, looking like nobody special."

          Only the eighth circuit libertarian knows that all the other types are
          right also, in their own way. Yositani Roshi, a great Zen teacher, used
          to say it to his students in these words:

          "You are absolutely perfect just as you are."
        • Jesse Walker
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 1