Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Top 40 libertarian websites- corrected link

  • Dan Clore
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 2, 2011
      jeo1@... wrote:
      > Interesting that you mention this, Anthony may be right that
      > AntiWar.com was not included. Maybe they categorize it as antiwar,
      > not libertarian.
      >
      > If you look at the description of "libertarian" that the site
      > provides right above the list, they talk about capitalism,
      > individualism, limited gov't etc but do not mention peace, foreign
      > policy or antiwar concerns.
      >
      > Justin R. is obviously libertarian, but a lot of other contributors
      > to the site are not clear as to their overall political philosophy
      > because they are writing on narrow issues.
      >
      > I agree it is a libertarian site, but it doesn't really bill itself
      > as such and so given that its rankings are high enough to be on the
      > top ten on the list, it probably wasn't included.

      Antiwar.com is run by right-libertarians, but is more of a general news
      site, and their editorial pieces deliberately draw on the entire
      political spectrum (so long as they are antiwar -- libertarians,
      liberals, progressives, paleocons, etc. -- not many neocons, of course!).

      --
      Dan Clore

      http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
      http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-unspeakable-and-others/6124911
      Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
      http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

    • Dan Clore
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 2, 2011
        Dan wrote:

        > Skip to here:
        >
        > http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2011/03/top-libertarian-40-sites-march-2011/

        It's an interesting and useful list. But it might be worth pointing out
        that the sites range (using the Political Compass's model) from the
        Libertarian Right quadrant up into the Authoritarian Right quadrant,
        including what (to me) look more like libertarian-leaning conservatives
        or outright corporatists rather than truly free-market folks. The
        Libertarian Left quadrant, including traditional anarchists on the
        communist/collectivist/syndicalist side of the spectrum, is entirely
        excluded.

        (I guess it's also nice to see Nolan Chart come in at 26, as my work
        accounts for about 1.5% of their hits. Almost all of that for one
        article from three years ago, though.)

        PS. I now see that Antiwar.com is ranked 42 in the "Progressive Liberal"
        list. Oh well--

        --
        Dan Clore

        http://tinyurl.com/yd3bxkw
        http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-unspeakable-and-others/6124911
        Lord Weÿrdgliffe & Necronomicon Page:
        http://tinyurl.com/292yz9

      • Jesse Walker
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 2, 2011
          On 3/2/11 11:20 PM, Dan Clore wrote:

          > It's an interesting and useful list. But it might be worth pointing out
          > that the sites range (using the Political Compass's model) from the
          > Libertarian Right quadrant up into the Authoritarian Right quadrant,
          > including what (to me) look more like libertarian-leaning conservatives
          > or outright corporatists rather than truly free-market folks. The
          > Libertarian Left quadrant, including traditional anarchists on the
          > communist/collectivist/syndicalist side of the spectrum, is entirely
          > excluded.

          I suspect many people would classify the EFF as a part of the (soft)
          libertarian left.

          It's odd that the EFF would qualify for the list but antiwar.com wouldn't.
        • jeo1@frontier.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 2, 2011
            Yes, Dan Clore, I don't know anyone at AntiWar.com, but what you say below seems about right.

            JEO

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 2, 2011
                The guy who compiles the site, Mondo Frazier, is asking for referrals. I
                asked him to include BigHeadPress.com and The Libertarian Enterprise in
                a nicely-worded e-mail. He wrote back and said he'd be happy to add
                those in the next compilation, and remarked that it was nice to get an
                e-mail from a libertarian who was not accusing him of some conspiracy in
                not including somebody's favorite site.

                He likely didn't include Anti-War.com because he's either unaware of the
                site or not aware that it's "libertarian."

                --
                -- Scott Bieser
                Read my web-comic "QUANTUM VIBE" at www.quantumvibe.com

                ----- L. Neil Smith's proposed Constitutional Amendment to enforce the
                Bill of Rights:

                “Any official, appointed or elected, at any level of government,
                who attempts, through legislative act or other means, to nullify,
                evade, or avoid the provisions of the first ten amendments to this
                Constitution, or of the Thirteenth Amendment, shall be summarily
                removed from office, and, upon conviction, deprived of all pay and
                benefits including pension, and sentenced to imprisonment for life.”

                www.bigheadpress.com/lneilsmith/?p=501
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                  I believe they have quarterly fundraising drives is all.

                  On Mar 2, 2011, at 10:23 PM, jeo1@... wrote:

                  Maybe, or I wonder if AntiWar.com traffic has fallen off due to incessant fundraising appeals? I know they have to bring in funds and it continues to be a great site, but pretty much every day now Raimondo has a piece about the site going down permanently for lack of funds.

                  It might discourage traffic, especially if the readers think the site will not last. I wonder if they are crying wolf a bit?

                • jeo1@frontier.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                    It's pretty much a constant thing, more than other websites, especially recently. Raimondo writes about it a lot.

                    I haven't done a comparision study but this is my opinion as a frequent visitor to the site and yes, I have contributed :)

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                      I see the fundraising often but not always. And I have been visiting the site at least once a week for several years now.

                      I also note, though, others I know and my interest in it waxes and wanes. I happen to be a little more foreign policy focused than most of my friends and one of the latter even stopped being interested in this to focus on personal growth issues.

                      Anyhow, Angela Keaton kind of explained why the site's not listed as libertarian.

                      And I don't like to brag about money I've donated. :)

                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                        I'm not "bragging" but I figured since I said I visit the site often and was mentioning their aggressive funraising, someone might reply that I should donate or wonder if I have. Also I would encourage others to give, perhaps by example. Not that it was a lot, unfortunately.

                        Angela's explanation makes sense and is pretty much what I thought too, and wrote here, that the site doesn't hold itself out as a libertarian site. It was JR who thought it should be listed, or at least wondered why it wasn't, and I think Angela answered that.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                          fundraising :)

                          aggressive "funraising" is something else entirely......

                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                            But, perhaps, something they should seriously consider. :)

                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                              On 3/3/2011 1:58 PM, jeo1@... wrote:

                              > It's pretty much a constant thing, more than other websites, especially
                              > recently. Raimondo writes about it a lot.

                              I get fundraising pitches from Antiwar.com as well, but while I've also
                              noticed the ratcheting-up of the crisis rhetoric in the pitch, in terms
                              of sheer frequency I think that Infoshop.org sends out fundraising
                              letters more often. The exact frequency varies depending on how well the
                              most recent big fundraiser gets, but there have been times when I was
                              getting a give-please letter from Infoshop at least once a month.

                              I am reminded of letters I used to get from Amnesty International for
                              years (literally -- like about 2002-2008 or so) when they would send me
                              *exactly the same fundraising letter* every time, always beginning with
                              something like "I regret to tell you that we are facing a SEVERE
                              FINANCIAL CRISIS at Amnesty International," etc. etc. Of course I
                              understand that they run a very tight ship on not very much money and I
                              certainly don't begrudge Amnesty any money they get for the work that
                              they do, but it quickly became quite clear that the severe financial
                              crisis was either not that severe, or else was simply situation-normal
                              as far as Amnesty's workaday finances go. In either case it might have
                              behooved them to change up at least a sentence or two in the letter from
                              one direct mailing to the next.

                              -C
                            • Nathan Byrd
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 3, 2011
                                As if they have the money to whipsaw edit like that, just to satisfy your desire for variety. ;-)