Why We Need Big Organizations

  • Benjamin Darrington
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2009
      Bloomberg.com - "Why We Need Big Organizations"

      "Since people can't ever access as many relationships on their own as they could as part of a larger institution, they will face significant disadvantages by remaining independent."

      These guys thinks big organizations will survive "because they will be best positioned to develop and support scalable, long-term, trust-based relationships." I think they rather naively assume that the only options for establishing trust-relationships are big corporations or plugging away all by yourself. If all big corporations will be doing in the future is "talent development" you don't think we'll come up with some distributed, self-managed, alternative to that as well?

      Ben
    • Kevin Carson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2009
        On 11/3/09, Benjamin Darrington <benjamin.darrington@...> wrote:

        > Bloomberg.com - "Why We Need Big Organizations"
        >
        > "Since people can't ever access as many relationships on their own as they could as part of a larger institution, they will face significant disadvantages by remaining independent."
        >
        > These guys thinks big organizations will survive "because they will be best positioned to develop and support scalable, long-term, trust-based relationships." I think they rather naively assume that the only options for establishing trust-relationships are big corporations or plugging away all by yourself. If all big corporations will be doing in the future is "talent development" you don't think we'll come up with some distributed, self-managed, alternative to that as well?

        I'm sure Eric Raymond would be amused by this. The Linux Foundation
        seems to have achieved a pretty high degree of functionality without
        such "organization." The article seems to confuse "organization" with
        "hierarchy."

        --
        Kevin Carson
        Mutualist Blog:  Free Market Anti-Capitalism