Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Re: Global Warming

  • Dr. Ronald Chusid
    Message 1 of 124 , Mar 13, 2007
      "Is the Channel 4 documentary any more biased and any less factual than Al Gore's documentary?"

      Yes. For example:

      http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2031455,00.html

      In contrast, An Inconvenient Truth is consistent with recent scientific consensus statements. You could nitpick about some details, and could argue about what the solutions should be, but Gore's basic argument that climate change presents a problem and is greatly affected by human behavior does represent the consensus of scientific belief.

      At 01:21 AM 3/14/2007, you wrote:

      Is the Channel 4 documentary any more biased and any less factual than
      Al Gore's documentary?

      Geoffrey Allan Plauche
      Doctoral Candidate
      Political Science
      Louisiana State University

    • Kevin Carson
      Message 124 of 124 , Mar 20, 2007
        >From: "tony_hollick" <StarGateAcademy@...>

        > Instead, the issue is whether or not you want these subject areas
        >to be addressed scientifically. If you do, it must follow that you
        >will want to avail yourself of the best possible "scientific
        >tool-kits." Axiomatized deduction is not the best.

        I suppose the question for Mises was what methods were suited to the subject
        matter. Using econometric data to make inductive generalizations, and then
        to make predictions on that basis, would be a good thing if it were
        possible. But Mises argued that it was impossible because of the number of
        variables to be controlled for. On the other hand, his axioms of human
        action were self-evidently true, and could be used at least to make
        statements that were true "ceteris paribus."

        > You may have read it: but I do recommend the Symposium "Criticism
        >and the Growth of Knowledge" eds. Lakatos and Musgrave. If you like
        >what Lakatos has to say, I'll buy you "The Methodology of Scientific
        >Research Programmes" by Lakatos as a gift.
        >
        > I admire your original and inspiring work immensely; and I cannot
        >think of a better way to say "Thank You!" AND to contribute to your
        >intellectual armoury.

        Thanks! I'll check it out.

        > What would you say were the writers who most influenced you?

        Kirkpatrick Sale's *Human Scale* was probably the single writer who
        influenced me most, because it was the most direct influence in starting
        several trains of questioning that I followed afterward, and caused a lot of
        other reading I was doing to click together around those themes.

        Kevin Carson
        Mutualist.Org: Free Market Anticapitalism
        http://www.mutualist.org/
        Mutualist Blog http://mutualist.blogspot.com/

        Watch free concerts with Pink, Rod Stewart, Oasis and more. Visit MSN
        Presents today.
        http://music.msn.com/presents?icid=ncmsnpresentstagline&ocid=T002MSN03A07001