Re: Alienating people from the anti-war movement / Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Re: Good Riddance

  • Jay P Hailey
    Message 1 of 157 , Sep 30, 2009
      > Only if you think that the best way for the anti-war movement to stop
      > wars is to maximize the number of people who identify with the anti-war
      > movement. This kind of thing is a common belief about how politics work;
      > but I'd submit that there's actually very little evidence for it. (When
      > it is defended at all, it is usually defended by reference to a very
      > rose-tinted picture of how democratic politics is supposed to work --
      > something like, "Well, obviously we need more people to identify with
      > the movement, because then more people will vote against wars, and if
      > more people vote against wars, there will be fewer wars.")

      I am reminded of the current events in the Keene NH area. People are
      smoking the marijuana in a public protest/celebration thing.

      They're not being arrested. The numbers are growing.

      I am also reminded of the events surrounding the end of the Marcos regime in
      the Philipines.

      If enough people start behaving/moving/going a certain way, then the
      government really can't ddo that much about it.

      So - the trick iss to get them moving in a freedom,
      let's-not-kill-anyone-today sort of direction.

      Jay ~Meow!~
      Message 157 of 157 , Oct 2, 2009
        I actually agree with you here. I think Jeff went too far in that direction. But this is a matter of taste. Sometimes a joke isn't funny, to me, if it feels overwritten. I've recently watching the American version of "The Office." I loved the British version, but I'm finding the problem with the American version, for me, is that the jokes are too overdone. With the British one, for me, it felt like they would do something funny, know the audience got it, and move on to the next incident. With the American one, they have to keep hammering at the same joke until it gets boring -- for me. IMHO, Jeff Olson did that here.

        From: Jeff Olson
        Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:27:48 -0500
        To: <LeftLibertarian2@ yahoogroups. com>

        Agreed.  If he suffers from anything it would probably be a classic case of Assholus Blowhardus.  It's a tragic disease which renders some misfortunate individuals to be capable only of expressing themselves via blowing their words out their ass.  Nothing subtle (or minty fresh) about that.

        Sadly,

        Jeff

        From: Jeff Olson
        Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:27:10 -0500
        To: <LeftLibertarian2@ yahoogroups. com>

        "Flying saucers Olsen?"  Hmmm...thanks for the tip, buddy.  I just might look for him.  Sounds like he might be a long-lost relative of mine or something.

        Jeff

        From: Jeff Olson
        Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 20:26:58 -0500
        To: <LeftLibertarian2@ yahoogroups. com>

        For what it's worth, Jeffrey, I think you could kick his ass - both literally and figuratively.  You're a pretty big guy, with a big vocabulary, and that cane of yours sounds nasty.

        :-)  Jeff
        .