Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Sheldon Richman on Sarah Palin

  • Charlie Kester
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 31, 2008
      * MikeHolmesTX@... <MikeHolmesTX@...> [2008-08-31 20:10:52 -0400]:

      > Most importantly, she removes the monopoly of "historic ticket" from
      > the Democrats and gives the Republicans an even score on that. She
      > has busted the Democratic cool cultural change stranglehold wide
      > open.

      I think this was the most important consideration for McCain and his
      advisers. This election is all about form, not substance.

      But while everyone is chattering about whether a black or a woman will
      "make history" by winning executive office, none of the major candidates
      is saying or doing anything to halt our descent into totalitarian
      empire, which is the truly historic event.
    • MikeHolmesTX@cs.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
        In a message dated 8/31/2008 9:28:11 PM Central Daylight Time, corky1951@... writes:

        But while everyone is chattering about whether a black or a woman will
        "make history" by winning executive office, none of the major candidates
        is saying or doing anything to halt our descent into totalitarian
        empire, which is the truly historic event.

        Excellent point.

        MH
      • terry12622000
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
          I think a split federal government is better than a united federal
          government even if the split is pretty narrow. If McCain had not
          picked an antiabortion person he was going to lose which he still
          might do especially if Barr, Baldwin and Jay take 3 to 6 points away
          from him because Nader and Mckiney will likely not even get
          2%.
          Although it would serve the GOP leadership right to end up with
          Obama but with the elitest attitudes of the big government liberals
          media types over the Palin pick that is probably not going to happen
          even if Barr, Baldwin and Jay do take 6%.--- In
          LeftLibertarian2@yahoogroups.com, Todd Barnett
          <toddandrewbarnett@...> wrote:

          > Sheldon Richman penned his latest blog post on Palin. It was put up
          > yesterday as you can see. You can also find it at his Free
          Association
          > blog on Blogger.
          >
          > Sheldon is brilliant with his take on the Palin pick. He's, as
          usual,
          > right on the button here. He's echoing my thoughts, which I've been
          > spewing on this list for quite some time now.
          >
          > Here's what he wrote:

          palin.html)

          > Saturday, August 30, 2008
          > Sarah Palin
          >
          > John McCain's selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running
          mate
          > reinforces what I said in my op-ed "Well, That's Politics" (see
          below).
          > She was picked because the campaign calculated that she would push
          > certain buttons in coveted constituencies: suburban women,
          feminists,
          > antiabortioners, evangelicals, the conservative Republican base,
          > maverick independents, women with five kids, women with kids with
          Down
          > syndrome, etc. (I know -- how can you please all these conflicting
          > groups?) Secondary to the process is whether she is
          actually "qualified"
          > to be president, which she could be called on to be as early as one
          > moment after McCain takes the oath of office. (Or maybe earlier,
          I'm
          > unsure what happens if the winner of a presidential election dies
          before
          > he's inaugurated. Anyone know?) McCain may turn out to be a genius
          and
          > win because of Palin. But I'm unconvinced. I think that when
          pushed, he
          > will have hard time looking into the camera during a debate --
          without
          > that silly, smirky grin -- and assuring people she is qualified to
          > succeed him. I don't think people will buy it. On the other hand,
          they
          > will be able to see as Joe Biden as president. (Heaven forbid!)
          >
          > Of course no one is qualified to be president. Those are probably
          the
          > only true words Bill Clinton has spoken as a politician. But then,
          no
          > one is actually running for president. McCain and Barack Obama are
          in
          > fact running for emperor. That's not just a rhetorical flourish. If
          you
          > look at America's foreign policy today and the array of powers that
          have
          > accumulated in the "unitary" executive branch, the office looks
          more
          > like the head of an empire than the modest executive described in
          the
          > Federalist Papers. (Granted, those were propaganda sheets designed
          > assuage the fear of empire among Antifederalists.)
          >
          > No one is much interested in musings such as these. We're ear-deep
          in
          > the democracy game, an Orwellian exercise in which we vauntingly
          > rhapsodize about freedom and self-government while banishing any
          > thoughts that the whole thing is as rotten as month-old fish.
          > Posted by Sheldon Richman at 7:16 AM 12 comments Links to this
          post
          > Labels: politics
          >

          > Yours in Liberty,
          >

          > Todd Andrew Barnett
          >
          > Host, Liberty Cap Talk Live with Todd Andrew Barnett and James
          Landrith, Jr.
          > http://www.nowlive.com/libertycaptalklive

        • Joshua Katz
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
            Who is Jay?

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
              Charles Jay the nominee of the Boston Tea party for 2008, nominee for
              the Personal Choice party in I think 2004.--- In
              LeftLibertarian2@yahoogroups.com, "Joshua Katz" <jalankatz@...> wrote:

> [...]
              in
              > > the
              > > > Federalist Papers. (Granted, those were propaganda sheets
              designed
              > > > assuage the fear of empire among Antifederalists.)
              > > >
              > > > No one is much interested in musings such as these. We're ear-
              deep
              > > in
              > > > the democracy game, an Orwellian exercise in which we vauntingly
              > > > rhapsodize about freedom and self-government while banishing any
              > > > thoughts that the whole thing is as rotten as month-old fish.
              > > > Posted by Sheldon Richman at 7:16 AM 12 comments Links to this
              > > post
              > > > Labels: politics
              > > >

              > > > Yours in Liberty,
              > > >

              > > > Todd Andrew Barnett
              > > >
              > > > Host, Liberty Cap Talk Live with Todd Andrew Barnett and James

            • Kevin Carson
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 2008
                On 8/31/08, Todd Barnett <toddandrewbarnett@...> wrote:

                > Sarah Palin

                This bit is especially good:

                --
                Kevin Carson
                Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism