Re: [LeftLibertarian2] Re: Suggestions for reading list on the social organization of production?

  • Kevin Carson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      On 7/31/08, Peter <eudinaesis@...> wrote:

      > I'll try to be as specific as I can, but I'm really pretty clueless
      > here, which is why I'm posting =) And I'm not sure how much more
      > background my fellow reading group members have on this stuff either.
      > So, uh, something like 'Left-libertarian Responses to the Early 21st
      > Century Economy 101" - moral evaluation of contemporary economic
      > production (critiques, perhaps defenses), from perspectives
      > libertarianish folks would find helpful. Perhaps: intrinsic problems
      > of hierarchy? Pathologies of the corporate form specific to its
      > current incarnations? Moral/strategic importance of
      > unions/co-ops/alternate forms?

      I'm not sure how much there is out there from a specifically free
      market standpoint. There's a lot of stuff on decentralist economics,
      alternative technology, etc., that's amenable to free market use, but
      not necessarily from that explicit viewpoint.

      --
      Kevin Carson
      Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
        Perhaps Kevin is too modest here.  I think Kevin's own book-in-progress on organizational theory
        is a natural place to look for a lot of the sort of thing you're asking about.

        > I'll try to be as specific as I can, but I'm really pretty clueless
        > here, which is why I'm posting =) And I'm not sure how much more
        > background my fellow reading group members have on this stuff either.
        > So, uh, something like 'Left-libertarian Responses to the Early 21st
        > Century Economy 101" - moral evaluation of contemporary economic
        > production (critiques, perhaps defenses), from perspectives
        > libertarianish folks would find helpful. Perhaps: intrinsic problems
        > of hierarchy? Pathologies of the corporate form specific to its
        > current incarnations? Moral/strategic importance of
        > unions/co-ops/ alternate forms?

        I'm not sure how much there is out there from a specifically free
        market standpoint. There's a lot of stuff on decentralist economics,
        alternative technology, etc., that's amenable to free market use, but
        not necessarily from that explicit viewpoint.

        --
        Kevin Carson
        Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism
        http://mutualist. blogspot. com
        Studies in Mutualist Political Economy
        http://www.mutualis t.org/id47. html
        Anarchist Organization Theory Project
        http://mutualist. blogspot. com/2005/ 12/studies- in-anarchist- theory-of. html

      • Peter
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
          Okay; I had always been planning to include parts of that. I guess
          what I'll do is read through the current drafts and see which parts to
          include--I think it's too large to do in its entirety. As for Kevin's
          comment-- I'm less interested in explicitly free market viewpoints
          than I am in pieces that do a good job of pointing out issues that
          should be of interest to libertarians.

          --- In LeftLibertarian2@yahoogroups.com, Roderick Long <berserkrl@...>
          wrote:

          > Perhaps Kevin is too modest here.  I think Kevin's own
          book-in-progress on organizational theory

          > is a natural place to look for a lot of the sort of thing you're
          asking about.

        • Kevin Carson
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
            On 8/1/08, Roderick Long <berserkrl@...> wrote:
            > Perhaps Kevin is too modest here. I think Kevin's own book-in-progress on organizational theory
            > http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/12/studies-in-anarchist-theory-of.html
            > is a natural place to look for a lot of the sort of thing you're asking about.

            Thanks, Roderick.

            On 8/1/08, Peter <eudinaesis@...> wrote:
            > Okay; I had always been planning to include parts of that. I guess
            > what I'll do is read through the current drafts and see which parts to
            > include--I think it's too large to do in its entirety. As for Kevin's
            > comment-- I'm less interested in explicitly free market viewpoints
            > than I am in pieces that do a good job of pointing out issues that
            > should be of interest to libertarians.

            You might check specifically the works on technology and economic
            organization I rely on in draft chapters 12 (The Cost Principle) and
            14 (Decentralized Production Technology). Chapter 15 (The Social
            Organization of Production: Cooperatives and Peer Production) isn't
            sufficiently fleshed out to post even a draft online yet, but I'll
            send it as a textfile if you want to use it as a source of ideas for
            further reading.