Ken Gregg

  • professorbear
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      Once in a while, I check the old list - Sam's original leftlibertarian
      list - to see what's going on. It's now Jesus Neil's list, of course,
      and is basically moribund. Two days ago, however, I found this - it
      was posted Thursday the 28th:

      For those of you who know or knew Ken Gregg...

      I am sure that many of you know that in the last six years or so,
      two out of his three children were killed by reckless drivers.

      All of this tragedy has taken its toll on Ken himself, physically,
      spiritually, emotionally.

      I was contacted by Ken's wife, Debbie, a couple of days ago, and
      spoke briefly with Ken yesterday evening.

      He has been in home hospice for about a year with end-stage
      congestive heart failure. He can't even type or read anymore. It
      sounds like he does not have much time left.

      He and I were a couple many, many years ago; and although I broke
      off the relationship, I have always thought of him as a good and
      decent man. I always wished him well.

      I can't begin to express how sorry I am that he has had so much
      tragedy in his life.

      Pam Maltzman

      JR
    • pairunoyd
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        --- In LeftLibertarian2@yahoogroups.com, "professorbear" <haljam@...>
        wrote:

        > Once in a while, I check the old list - Sam's original
        leftlibertarian
        > list - to see what's going on. It's now Jesus Neil's list, of
        course,
        > and is basically moribund. Two days ago, however, I found this - it
        > was posted Thursday the 28th:
        >
        > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        > For those of you who know or knew Ken Gregg...
        >

        > I am sure that many of you know that in the last six years or so,
        > two out of his three children were killed by reckless drivers.
        >
        > All of this tragedy has taken its toll on Ken himself, physically,
        > spiritually, emotionally.
        >
        > I was contacted by Ken's wife, Debbie, a couple of days ago, and
        > spoke briefly with Ken yesterday evening.
        >
        > He has been in home hospice for about a year with end-stage
        > congestive heart failure. He can't even type or read anymore. It
        > sounds like he does not have much time left.
        >
        > He and I were a couple many, many years ago; and although I broke
        > off the relationship, I have always thought of him as a good and
        > decent man. I always wished him well.
        >
        > I can't begin to express how sorry I am that he has had so much
        > tragedy in his life.
        >

        > Pam Maltzman

        > JR

        Thanks. Excellent post.

        -pair
      • shawn wilbur
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
          Thanks for passing that along, JR.

          -shawn

          --- professorbear <haljam@...> wrote:

          > Once in a while, I check the old list - Sam's
          > original leftlibertarian
          > list - to see what's going on. It's now Jesus
          > Neil's list, of course,
          > and is basically moribund. Two days ago, however, I
          > found this - it
          > was posted Thursday the 28th:
          >
          > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          > For those of you who know or knew Ken Gregg...
          >

          > I am sure that many of you know that in the last six
          > years or so,
          > two out of his three children were killed by
          > reckless drivers.
          >
          > All of this tragedy has taken its toll on Ken
          > himself, physically,
          > spiritually, emotionally.
          >
          > I was contacted by Ken's wife, Debbie, a couple of
          > days ago, and
          > spoke briefly with Ken yesterday evening.
          >
          > He has been in home hospice for about a year with
          > end-stage
          > congestive heart failure. He can't even type or read
          > anymore. It
          > sounds like he does not have much time left.
          >
          > He and I were a couple many, many years ago; and
          > although I broke
          > off the relationship, I have always thought of him
          > as a good and
          > decent man. I always wished him well.
          >
          > I can't begin to express how sorry I am that he has
          > had so much
          > tragedy in his life.
          >

          > Pam Maltzman

          > JR

        • James Garfield
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
            wrote:

            > Once in a while, I check the old list - Sam's original
            leftlibertarian
            > list - to see what's going on. It's now Jesus Neil's list, of
            course,
            > and is basically moribund.

            Yeah; at least I got to "RickRoll" it. That was great fun.

            > Two days ago, however, I found this - it
            > was posted Thursday the 28th:
            >
            > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            > For those of you who know or knew Ken Gregg...
            >

            > I am sure that many of you know that in the last six years or so,
            > two out of his three children were killed by reckless drivers.
            >
            > All of this tragedy has taken its toll on Ken himself, physically,
            > spiritually, emotionally.
            >
            > I was contacted by Ken's wife, Debbie, a couple of days ago, and
            > spoke briefly with Ken yesterday evening.
            >
            > He has been in home hospice for about a year with end-stage
            > congestive heart failure. He can't even type or read anymore. It
            > sounds like he does not have much time left.
            >
            > He and I were a couple many, many years ago; and although I broke
            > off the relationship, I have always thought of him as a good and
            > decent man. I always wished him well.
            >
            > I can't begin to express how sorry I am that he has had so much
            > tragedy in his life.

            That's terrible news. Ken has been through so much. I love the
            history lessons on his "CLASSical Liberalism" blog. I'd hate for the
            Web to lose another great libertarian voice.

            --James
          • terry12622000
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
              Oh God, I'm sorry to hear that.--- In
              LeftLibertarian2@yahoogroups.com, "professorbear" <haljam@...> wrote:

              > Once in a while, I check the old list - Sam's original
              leftlibertarian
              > list - to see what's going on. It's now Jesus Neil's list, of
              course,
              > and is basically moribund. Two days ago, however, I found this - it
              > was posted Thursday the 28th:
              >
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              > For those of you who know or knew Ken Gregg...
              >

              > I am sure that many of you know that in the last six years or so,
              > two out of his three children were killed by reckless drivers.
              >
              > All of this tragedy has taken its toll on Ken himself, physically,
              > spiritually, emotionally.
              >
              > I was contacted by Ken's wife, Debbie, a couple of days ago, and
              > spoke briefly with Ken yesterday evening.
              >
              > He has been in home hospice for about a year with end-stage
              > congestive heart failure. He can't even type or read anymore. It
              > sounds like he does not have much time left.
              >
              > He and I were a couple many, many years ago; and although I broke
              > off the relationship, I have always thought of him as a good and
              > decent man. I always wished him well.
              >
              > I can't begin to express how sorry I am that he has had so much
              > tragedy in his life.
              >

              > Pam Maltzman

              > JR

            • Pam
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
                ProfessorBear,

                Thanks for cross-posting this. I didn't even know *this* list
                existed until Kevin Carson e-mailed me. I have forwarded Kevin's e-
                mail on to Ken's wife, Debbie. I hope she will get back to Kevin
                soon. I decided not to post her contact information without asking
                her first.

                Pam Maltzman

                <haljam@...> wrote:

                > Once in a while, I check the old list - Sam's original
                leftlibertarian
                > list - to see what's going on. It's now Jesus Neil's list, of
                course,
                > and is basically moribund. Two days ago, however, I found this -
                it
                > was posted Thursday the 28th:
                >
                > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                > For those of you who know or knew Ken Gregg...
                >

                > I am sure that many of you know that in the last six years or so,
                > two out of his three children were killed by reckless drivers.
                >
                > All of this tragedy has taken its toll on Ken himself, physically,
                > spiritually, emotionally.
                >
                > I was contacted by Ken's wife, Debbie, a couple of days ago, and
                > spoke briefly with Ken yesterday evening.
                >
                > He has been in home hospice for about a year with end-stage
                > congestive heart failure. He can't even type or read anymore. It
                > sounds like he does not have much time left.
                >
                > He and I were a couple many, many years ago; and although I broke
                > off the relationship, I have always thought of him as a good and
                > decent man. I always wished him well.
                >
                > I can't begin to express how sorry I am that he has had so much
                > tragedy in his life.
                >

                > Pam Maltzman

                > JR

              • tony_hollick
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Terry:

                  That's appallingly sad. And so undeserved. Ken always appeared
                  to me to be a thoroughly good-natured person: -- exactly the sort of
                  person the movement -- and the world -- needs more of.

                  Regards,

                  Tony

                  --- In LeftLibertarian2@yahoogroups.com, "terry12622000"