Advance Welcome

  • sek3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 1999
      About half of the 50 "invitations" I have sent out so far have been responded to, the vast majority ae positive. I intend to wait a couple of more days before sending out the Official Welcome, with the usual musings on what inspired this eList and what I hope we will accomplish with it.

      You Advance Guard are overwhelmingly the hardest core, so I'll take this opportunity to address you first. Let me begin by getting my motivation out of the way. I noticed myself expending considerable effort at setting straight backward libertarians new to This Movement of Ours in various internet lists, many completely ad hoc. I also noted that the Movement web pages, on-line zines, and so on, which had to take second place to money-makers to keep me alive, were not getting done. Have recently recovered some of my old intelligence and memory via counter-economic substances (cannot call it "dope" any more, we'll have to call it "smart" or "nerdstuff"), I put it all together.

      What we had back in the 1960s, and as late as the 1980s, was a lot of direct stimulation from each other, driving us to publish bigger and better. And there was that human dynamo of freedom, right or wrong, called Murray Rothbard. This Movement of Ours definitely misses him.

      A couple of months ago (maybe more), some spectacularly obtuse members of the L.A. Agora List (there's no point in naming names, you won't find them here) triggered a threat by me to leave and start a fresh, clean list. A list of people already hard-core enough that we don't get bogged down explaining what 90% of us already know, and what we took years to learn.

      The Movement of the Libertarian Left (MLL) has been far too moribund recently; thanks to the students (three on the advance list already have signed up) who are reviving MLL on campuses where it ultimately is most at home. Given our low finances (occasional grants from The Agorist Institute), I have been pursuing a web-based strategy to keep up publications and keep us informed. A membership eList was planned for years (ask Kent how often we talked about it), and this is it.

      I'll be a little more formal in my next General Message, and in the meantime I'll put up some new material on the MLL page and a link for people to get from there to here.

      Topic for next time: what do you think of LeftLibertarian List being "located" in the Liberalism/Left Wing section rather than in the Government: Anarchism section (talk about oxymoronic labels!) or the Government: Libertarian section?

      Freely as ever, SEK3 (MLL001)
    • Randall Randall
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 1999
        On Thu, 04 Nov 1999, sek3@... thoughtfully pondered:
        > From: sek3@...

        > Topic for next time: what do you think of LeftLibertarian List being "located" in the Liberalism/Left Wing section rather than in the Government: Anarchism section (talk about oxymoronic labels!) or the Government: Libertarian section?

        Probably not many people will understand why it is there, but this is a good thing. I'd say. It provides a convenient starting point for discussion (not only
        now, but whenever someone new joins the list), and probably will give us exposure to those who might otherwise never see the list.

        --
        Wolfkin (Randall Randall).
        wolfkin@... | Libertarian webhost? www.freedomspace.net