line level compression

  • Mark Simoni
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hi,

      We love LecNet 2 DMs. We have notices some instances of distorted
      audio when operating compressors or limiters with line level inputs.
      Inputs meter normally, and the sound cleans up when raising the
      threshold to a point where there is no gain reduction, or the ration
      is changed to 1:1. Anyone else notice this or have a tip?

      Thanks,

      Mark
    • andrew_p_cross
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
        Hi Mark,

        I saw your posting last week, but was not able to respond until
        now. We have also noticed this distortion, and have contacted the
        factory about it. To date, they have not been able to duplicate it
        (to my knowledge). At times, I have not been able to use this
        feature because of it. Specific details sent to the factory may
        help, if you have them...

        Andy
        DCI Sound
        Marcellus, NY

        --- In LecNet2@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Simoni" <markcgaux@...> wrote:
        > We have notices some instances of distorted
        > audio when operating compressors or limiters with line level
        inputs.
        > Mark

      • Gordon Moore
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006
          Andy and Mark -

          Check the attack time on the compressors - I ran into the same thing
          at my church where we have the beta test unit - the units used to
          ship with an attack time of around 1ms on compression as "standard"
          - the moment you activated the compressor by picking a ratio, this
          was the default.

          Change that to a more reasonable 20-30ms and it smooths out. We now
          ship them set to 20ms as the default.

          Also double check input gain - make sure you aren't overloading the
          input. (I know Mark wouldn't do such a thing but I still have to say
          it!)

          Check those attack times (also make sure the release time is LONGER
          than the attack - I typically use 200ms in the church. I use a 3:1
          ratio.

          My church is about 2 mile sup the road and very convenient for
          testing in a live environement with a bunch of amateurs running
          things - nothing a field installation where you can see what we
          missed in the lab. The church jokes about being a beta site -
          "today may be an accapella Sunday!".Gordon Moore CTS
          Vice President, Sales
          Lectrosonics,Inc
          1-800-821-1121
          1-505-994-9815 direct line
          1-505-892-6243 fax
          gordon@... - factory
          gordonmoore1@... - road
        • Mark Simoni
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2006
            Hi Gordon,

            Thanks for the tip. I usually set the attack a bit quicker than 20mS,
            but we will give that a try. Is there any thought as to why that
            particular symptom shows up with line level and not mic level inputs?

            Take care,

            Mark