LM transmitter "phantom power suppy" question

  • dhart502000
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2008
      I have just purchased a couple of LM transmitters (now a discontinued
      product). These transmitters have swivel battery doors. The Lectro 9V
      phantom power supply kit does not provide a replacement "door" for the
      LM series. Has anyone drilled a hole in the bottom of the existing LM
      transmitter door and made the phantom power supply work? The door is
      rather thick and I'm concerned that the right angle power cable from
      by mixer power supply may not have enough penetration to make a good
      connection. Anyone else made this work?
    • brucejones87124
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
        The LM and its replacement, the LMa, can be powered from an external
        DC source as long as you are careful about ground loops between the
        power supply and audio sections. The FAQ listed below provides the
        details.

        To deal with this problem, a special isolated ground battery
        eliminator is offered – the ISO9VOLT.

        http://www.lectrosonics.com/catalogs/UniversalCatalogPages/BattElims.htm

        Also inquired with our service manager to see what experience he may
        have had with this. Here is his reply:

        <<I have seen a few of these unit come in for repair over the years.
        If you drill a hole in the battery door of the LM be sure to remove
        the printed circuit board assembly prior to doing so to keep the metal
        fillings from causing malfunction. We also have a cable assembly with
        a 12 volt plug that is straight (Lectrosonics part # 21425) that will
        give more penetration. Beware of the potential for ground loops, see
        FAQ # 69.

        http://www.lectrosonics.com/faq/faq1byref.php?id=69

        I do recommend using the ISO9VOLT with LM.>>

        There are two different discussion groups. Actually, it would be
        better if you used the other discussion group, since it focuses on
        wireless equipment (left-hand link on this page).

        http://www.lectrosonics.com/service/list.htm

        Best regards,
        Bruce Jones

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2008
          You can use an external DC power source for the LM and LMa
          transmitters, as long as you are careful to avoid a ground loop
          between the audio and power sections. See this FAQ for details:

          http://lectrosonics.com/faq/faq1byref.php?id=69

          Also inquired with our service manager to see what experience he has
          had. Here is his reply:

          <<
          I have seen a few of these unit come in for repair over the
          years. If you drill a hole in the battery door of the LM be sure to
          remove the printed circuit board assembly prior to doing so to keep
          the metal fillings from causing malfunction. We also have a cable
          assembly with a 12 volt plug that is straight (Lectrosonics part #
          21425) that will give more penetration. Beware of the potential for
          ground loops, see FAQ # 69,
          http://www.lectrosonics.com/faq/faq1byref.php?id=69 I do recommend
          using the ISO9VOLT with LM.>>

          http://lectrosonics.com/catalogs/UniversalCatalogPages/BattElims.htm

          There is no replacement door for the LM because of its spring-loaded
          mounting arrangement. It is not easy to change, so you would have to
          drill a hole in the door yourself.

          For wireless discussions, it would be better if you use the other
          discussion group. Use the link on the left-hand side of this page to join:

          http://lectrosonics.com/service/list.htm