hello

  • JR Tyler
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007
      Hi all, my name is JR Tyler, I work for DCI Sound in upstate NY.  Looking forward to sharing ideas and learning along the way.

      JR

    • lectrohowie
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007
        Hi JR,

        Just a quick welcome to the list. There isn't always a lot of activity here, but if you have any
        comments or questions we are happy to answer!

        Regards,

        Howard Kaufman
        Technical Representative
        Lectrosonics
        (516) 557-5213 (cell and office)
        www.lectrosonics.com
      • Bob Peticolas
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007

          Hello,

          I have a question concerning the back panel controls on a DM1624.  Is this the right place to ask it?

          bob

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007
            Sure. Ask away!

            Regards,

            Howard
          • Bob Peticolas
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007

              Thanks.

              I want to control one of the input channels on our DM1624 with an external pot.  I found some instructions for a DM84 which  I hope will suffice.  But, I can’t figure out if the rear panel level control for an input will vary the gain of the input from 0 to max or from the setting on the input screen of the GUI to max.  I would like the latter.  This way, with the control I’m adding, the minimum setting would be, say 23 db gain, while the maximum setting would be +30 above the input screen  or 53 db gain.  Is this correct?

              bob

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007
                Hi Bob,

                Sorry but your thinking is not correct here. The way the rear panel controls work is that
                they are attenuate (cut) only. They minimuam attenuation is 0dB and the maximum
                attenuation is 60dB. You can also set it so that the minimum setting is "off". This is all
                done on the last tab called "Rear Panel Ctl". With an analog "pot" as the controller the Gain
                Preset setting is irrelevant and does not have any effect (it is useful if the control is done
                via serial commands, or up/down momentary push button switches).

                So, to make a long story longer, you should set the input gain for the best signal to noise
                vs. headroom gain, just as you would with an ordinary analog real world mixer's input gain
                "Trim" control - the one typically found a the top of an input channel strip. With a typical
                dynamic mic that might be anywhere from 30-50dB and somewhat less if an electret
                condenser. Then you use the Rear Panel Analog Input control to vary the gain of the
                channel from that setting down to whatever the minimum you've set for that control, all
                the way up to "off"", if desired. Typically, the end user might be allowed a limited range of
                control, say 20dB, so that the channel would never go "off" completely - and so you avoid
                a service call when the only problem is that the level control is completely counter-
                clockwise.

                Feel free to call me if you want to discuss this with a live human being!

                Regards,

                Howard
              • Bob Peticolas
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2007

                  Howard,

                  I’ve got to leave right now, but, how about if I swap the ground and +5 connections to the pot.  Then set the mike gain to just below the feedback point for that mike.  Then when the pot is fully counter-clockwise, the attenuation will be max and as I turn it clockwise, I would be reducing the attenuation which in effect would turn the gain on the mike up.  Fully clockwise would be just below the feedback point.

                  Would this work?