Tips for a beginner?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 2001
      Well I got my Tandy Starter Kit in the mail last week and have done
      my first carving on the "practice" piece they send you, and although
      I'm not horribly dissapointed in the results, it definately is
      nowhere close to the pictured example, and I was wondering if I can
      get some tips to improve on the next round...
      My main problem seems to be that I can't get any depth into the
      design - which I think may partially be due to not wetting it
      correctly - no matter how hard I pounded those tools I didn't get
      much of an impression out of them - but also is this 4mm thick stuff
      the same leather they are showing tooled in the examples? I just
      don't see how that kind of dept can be achieved with this leather.
      Thanks for any tips you can provide,

      -Steve :)
    • oahumike@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2001
        I've been there, Steve. I had completed the projects in the deluxe starter
        kit and had moved on the Al Stohlman Home Study Course. In between lessons I
        was doing the necessary practice with my swivel knife. I had obtained scrap
        leather from a local saddle shop to use. There was a major difference in the
        ease of cutting their leather and some of the leather in the Tandy projects.
        I talked with the Tandy manager and she offered a couple of guesses.....some
        of the project kits sit on the shelf for a while (one kit I got was so old
        the rubber band holding the lace bundled was almost completely dissolved) and
        the leather looses some of it's oils.....the other guess was that Tandy was
        buying a good bit of South American leather which was notorious for doing a
        poor job of putting the fats/oils back into the hide after tanning was
        complete. Now this all presupposes that your swivel knife is properly
        sharpened, you have make your cuts about half the thickness of the leather
        and the leather is properly cased. The Tandy manager suggested that I put a
        cap full of Lexol conditioner in a quart of water to use as my casing water.
        This approximates a product known as Carve Eze (sp?). Hope this helps.

        Mike