barge cement

  • wyrdwitch@starpower.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2001
      Greetings,
      A friend of mine gave me one of his ghillies to work on, as the
      sole had started to come away from the shoe leather. There is no
      stitching of the sole to the leather that makes up insole and rest of
      the shoe--it is only glued.
      I want to use barge cement to repair the sole, and was wondering
      what would be the best applicator to use. Brush? Sponge? Wool
      dauber? I imagine that whatever I use may be rendered useless
      thereafter . . .

      joel
    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2001
        wyrdwitch@... wrote"

        > I want to use barge cement to repair the sole,
        > and was wondering
        > what would be the best applicator to use. Brush?
        > Sponge? Wool
        > dauber? I imagine that whatever I use may be
        > rendered useless thereafter . . .

        I like acid brushes for this type of duty. They are
        cheap enough to be disposable. Home Despot and other
        home stores carry them, as does Harbor Freight, I
        think. An acid brush is a small square ended brush,
        about 1/4 inch across, with a rolled "tin" handle.

        If you plan to do a lot of gluing, look at the office
        supply store for a rubber cement bottle. This is a
        pint(?) glass bottle with an adjustable brush in the
        lid. They seal tightly enough so the stuff doesn't
        dry out, and you can adjust the depth the brush
        protrudes into the bottle, so the mess factor is
        controllable. I use one of these and like it a lot.

        IMX, wool daubers leave bits of wool in the glue.
        It's not fatal, but annoys me.

        - Dennis Novak
        Run fast. Bite hard.