Lightening leather's color

  • Glen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2005
      I have a leather belt that has slowly darkened with age, use, and dirt
      and whatnot. I recently oiled it (not with Neatsfoot oil. It was a
      synthetic, though I have cleverly forgotten what it was) and it
      darkened still further. How can I lighten the leather color? It's now
      a fairly dark brown, much darker than I would like.

      -Glen
    • Greg Pilcher
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2005
        Have you tried washing it? You may, and I say may here, be able to
        wash it in a mild solution of soapy water, that will get the oils out,
        but you need to be aware that it may, ruin the belt, depending on the
        type of leather it is. That is why I asked you in the prior email to
        call me, or email me on the side. Since you didnt respond , I will
        post the answer here for all to know now, as it may help someone else
        in that need.
        Greg

        --- In Leathercrafters101@yahoogroups.com, "Glen" <thescouts@y...>