Boiled vs Baked leather?

  • keegaroo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
      I craft leather armor, cowboy gear to tool bags bikers. I am working
      with grade a or b 7-9 oz veg tanned hides . Water temp 160 F for 35
      seconds it works but have 20% end up to hard. Has Anyone soak leather
      then baked it?

      Also looking for hides 7-9 oz veg tanned under 3$ per sq. for hide
      seconds would be ok.

      any good sites for patterns?

      I am in N. Dallas area

      seamus
    • steve baytos
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005

        Hey keegaroo nice to see new members.

        GO Black Talon.

        Argh

        I craft leather armor, cowboy gear to tool bags bikers. I am working
        with grade a or b 7-9 oz veg tanned hides . Water temp 160 F for 35
        seconds it works but have 20% end up to hard. Has Anyone soak leather
        then baked it?

        Also looking for hides 7-9 oz veg tanned under 3$ per sq. for hide
        seconds would be ok.

        any good sites for patterns?

        I am in N. Dallas area

        seamus

        Custom belts, contact Dan at dantheleatherman@...

      • Orest Lechnowsky
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 8, 2005
          Yup. Done that. Turns out hard. Doesn't look the very best.
          Looks dry and rough. Don't know that I would recommend it.

          Orest