adhesives & summer update

  • Henry Hibbard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2008
      My name is Beth Sullivan and I am a model maker who just joined this
      group. I am attempting to make a leather bag back flap with a lining
      and a layer of Bontex sandwiched between the layers. Do you glue the
      stiffener to the leather or just capture it in the sewn edge seam? I
      saw on one post that it is possible to skive the Bontex edges thinner.
      Any advice welcome.
      I have been experimenting with adhesives used for leather bookbinding
      and have had good results with a water based adhesive, reversible PVA.
      Has anyone had luck with this? It is available online from TALAS.
      Thank you for this resource,
      Beth

      Beth,
      The thing to do is use a thickness of leather that doesn't require a stiffener. Thick leather doesn't cost any more than thin leather until you get up into really thick belt leather. When I use Bontex it's used to stiffen the bottom of a backpack or handbag with feet.
      Yes you can skive Bontex and I usually do it to soften the transition on the edges. I leave it short of the seam allowance to prevent adding thickness there.
      I glue it on using a solvent type glue... a kind of contact cement made for use with leather. Water base cement... latex type ... I have seen that break down with age, as in a couple months, and cause a dark stain on the leather. Oil breaks down latex and it just becomes goo. In factories I've seen latex applied in a spray booth. A light mist is all that is required to hold panels in place for sewing. This isn't enough to bleed through when/if it breaks down. Maybe what you are using doesn't have that problem. The benefit of latex is that it only needs to be applied to one surface.
      For handbag flaps I glue two pieces of leather back to back, without any stiffener.

      On my blog http://henrysleathernews.blogspot.com message #3 I follow up on "Handbag Conversion" what a designer has to know, by talking about making a handbag that is laced together. Then as an example I made and posted a mans bag here: http://leathergoodsconnection.com/mensbags.html

      I have the shop web cams on the LGC main menu. They turn out to be useless for showing my actual products as I had hoped. I thought it would be a way to show and market one of a kind items but picture quality is too poor. I'm now just using them to show that we actually make the stuff and to give customers confidence in purchasing on the Internet. I don't know if it's worth it.

      I still have some people on vacation so some deliveries are taking more than 7 days depending on the work schedule. I have to spend a day or two on wallets, then a day on belts, then a day or two on handbags.

      As always... If you want to drop out... the unsubscribe link is at the very bottom of this email.