Business plan

  • Henry Hibbard
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2006
      I'll get to the business plan, but first:

      I inquired about the Bovine Scrotums mentioned in the last post and it
      seems they come in assorted sizes. The size seems to vary according to
      the time of year.

      1 140 MM MAX LENGHT X 150MM MAX WIDHT
      2 170 MM MAX LENGHT X 200MM MAX WIDHT
      3 200 MM MAX LENGHT X 240MM MAX WIDHT

      PRICES ABOVE REFER TO LEATHER WITHIN THESE THREE SIZE GROUPS

      AT THE PRESENT WE CAN NOT DELIVER LEATHER OF A SINGLE SIZE

      OUR PRODUCTS ARE DELIVERED AS A MIXED SIZE RANGE

      THE PERCENTAGE OF LEATHER UNDER EACH SIZE RANGE DEPENDS ON
      THE SEASON
      AND IS BEYOND OUR CONTROL

      I assume they are smaller in the winter. Instead of labeling the
      sizes 1,2,and 3… maybe they should be, Winter, Spring & Fall, and
      Summer, to be more in tune with the fashion industry collections.

      With the guy in India wanting to sell me chicken foot leather, and
      the guy in New Zealand wanting to sell me Scrotums, one wonders if
      anything is still sacred. How long before we get seamless pool cue covers?

      Well… strangely enough, we have a new member (no pun intended) who
      makes pool cue cases. They look to be a fine piece of work and are
      another example of a niche market opportunity. There are images of
      some of Brian's work in the photo files.

      Since last Nov. I have been telling you that Bill would be making
      some of the belts, which would free up some of my time for handbags.
      That is finally the case. Bill has been making and shipping belts from
      LeatherGoods Connection North, in MN for the last month.
      He came to GA for a few weeks training on two occasions and in the
      mean time acquired the necessary equipment and supplies to equip his
      shop and is now self-employed.

      Business plan:
      I don't understand the emphasis on a business plan for those who
      want to be self-employed. I never consciously had one. I came up with
      a product that people would pay money for and made it available. Is
      that a plan?
      It seems to me that "a product that people would pay money for", IS
      the plan. How is this done? Well, one needs to bring together the
      factors of production… I think I've mentioned the 4 M's before. Men,
      Money, Material, & Machines.
      Brian, Bill & I have changed that a little. Money (earned money),
      Material (Paid for with earned money), Machines (Paid for with earned
      money), & Me (Meaning, we did it ourselves).

      This email was in the last post:
      "I am looking to become an entrepreneur like yourself. I have a
      fantastic idea to start a designer purse line, but I need some
      guidance. I do not know where to start. I came across your website
      and thought you could offer some assistance in my venture, even if
      it's merely information about how to get started."

      And this one:
      "I am looking for a company to create a sample of a
      handbag I have designed. I will then place orders for
      production. The bag has a leather back, bottom and
      side trims with a fabric face. I will need my design
      transferred to the face. please let me know if you
      provide this service…"

      What part of the 4M's are these people missing? Maybe they have
      Money (they will need a lot of it)… if they have the "ME" part they
      haven't shown it. The Material & Machines part they apparently don't
      value and expect others to know about and supply.
      What happens is… if they do find someone with the Material &
      Machines, that person also has the Money & Me part.

      The person with the first email apparently doesn't have the money
      part (and knows she will need a lot of it), so asks me if I want to
      provide services and invest. It seems the business plan is simply,
      "How will I get others to contribute what I need to make me a
      success". My older sister taught me all about how that works before I
      was 5 years old.

      Kathleen Fasanella on her blog http://www.fashion-incubator.com

      Writes:
      I can't tell you how many times somebody has offered me a piece of the
      business in exchange for services. Some entrepreneurs envision
      shopping the plan around to enough parties that they can staff the
      project (there are some real slick operators with impressive
      credentials doing this). A business plan is not a lure so don't use
      them that way. The reason they don't work as lures is because most of
      the time, plans are things that a business developer can figure out
      how to do on their own so there's no reason for them to partner with
      you. Now if you had tooling, prototypes and samples, I could see it,
      that'd be an asset but if you don't have protos and samples, nobody
      needs you. Therefore, nobody -I repeat- nobody is going to give you
      money to make prototypes and samples no matter how good your idea is.
      So, call me despotic and hard headed, I wouldn't bother somebody with
      a business plan until you had proofs of tangible investment in your
      own idea. Besides, nobody will really know what you're describing anyway.

      On re-reading this it seems I got side tracked on the business plan
      and never covered how to come up with, "a product that people would
      pay money for". I guess, "a product that people would pay money for"
      is the goal, not the plan.

      The Goal: "To create wealth by creating something that is of more
      value than the sum of its parts". The idea is to create wealth… not,
      create a scheme to get money.
      Maybe I can come up with more information about that…ala Vera
      Bradley… My mother-in-law used to make bags like that, and sold them
      for less than $10.00, and donated the money to the church.

      Bag lovers and designers check out: http://thebagblog.com/

      Maybe we can talk about what happened to Coach one of these days.