BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS June 11th

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2004
      Apologies for cross posting.
      Hope this is of interest. Any feedback is welcome.
      Regards

      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org

      Welcome to the 2nd June edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
      1.TOP STORIES
      2. DISCUSSION GROUP NEWS
      3. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY

      1 TOP STORIES
      WEB USERS TO GAIN CREATIVE COMMONS ACCESS TO THE BBC
      The BBC has given a major boost to the Creative Commons movement this week
      by revealing how it plans to open up its archive of broadcasting material to
      UK Internet users.

      DEALING WITH EFL TERMINOLOGY
      Clearly, time spent on negotiating the meaning of key terms will be a good
      investment for trainees and their trainers. The activity described here
      produced excellent results.

      INCREASING TEACHER AND LEARNER ENGAGEMENT THROUGH CREATIVITY This engaging
      interview with Dr. Stephen Heppell of Ultralab UK explores current ideas on
      what's missing from education and training.

      HOW A WEB-BASED COURSE FACILITATES ACQUISITION OF ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC
      PURPOSES
      This paper describes an experimental study aimed at investigating the
      learning effectiveness of a Web-based course called.

      MAKING SENSE OF TEXT: STRATEGIES USED BY GOOD AND AVERAGE READERS
      This paper discusses the reading comprehension strategies used by four good
      and four average readers.

      DEFINITION PLUS COLLOCATION IN VOCABULARY TEACHING AND LEARNING
      In this paper, I examine definition and collocation as they relate to our
      presentations and dictionaries.

      These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
      the last few days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
      articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
      line at: search.admin@...

      2. ELT WRITERS DISCUSSION GROUP
      The ELT writers Discussion group is off to a good start with some great
      advice from Lindsay Clandfield on how to get into ELT publishing.

      3. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
      Results or our survey on SearchEnglish users will be published within the
      coming weeks, so if you still haven't completed the survey please click the
      link and give us your opinions. All information is anonymous and will help
      us to provide a better service for you.
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4642589/i.asp

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK
      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Regards
      Nik Peachey