teachers and learners online

  • simondarby
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
      Hello All

      Does anyone know where I can get statistics for the number of
      teachers and learners of English who use the Internet to either
      research and plan lessons or improve their language?

      Also, I'd like to get members' views on websites which support
      Student's Books. Here are a couple of examples:

      http://www.longman-elt.com/cuttingedge/index.html
      http://www.oup.com/elt/englishfile/elementary

      All the best

      Simon
    • jodie williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
        Hi!
        Our school has a team of teachers who write original
        on line material loosely based on course books used in
        the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (official language
        school),in Pamplona, Spain, for our blended learning
        programme for students who want to do the Official
        Language School exams. (Inside Out, Cutting Edge.)

        The effectiveness of such material depends largely on
        the tutor and the attitude and autonomy of the student
        (and the extent to which the tutor is able to develop
        learner autonomy in their students, which is really
        hard, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.)

        For the statistics you could take a look at our web
        page at www.webcnai.com and contact administration by
        email.

        --- simondarby <simon.darby@...> wrote:
        > Hello All
        >
        > Does anyone know where I can get statistics for the
        > number of
        > teachers and learners of English who use the
        > Internet to either
        > research and plan lessons or improve their language?
        >
        > Also, I'd like to get members' views on websites
        > which support
        > Student's Books. Here are a couple of examples:
        >
        > http://www.longman-elt.com/cuttingedge/index.html
        > http://www.oup.com/elt/englishfile/elementary
        >
        > All the best
        >
        > Simon

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Maria Jordano
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2004
          Hi Simon,

          Here you are the post that I received in one of my
          list on that topic... (You have also the survey and
          results). About my opinion on those pages... Well, If
          I have to choose from Publishers' websites, i love
          Onestopenglish, by Heinneman and their e-leassons.
          They are great. I've never used the one suggested, and
          the other... well, I did it last year, but I didn't
          like very much except for the section with sounds,
          which is great.

          This is what I have been doing this year...(I always
          try to collect evrything I do in class there, for them
          to have a look later, at the same time I give them
          extra exercises...

          http://www.mariajordano.com/my_courses/level1b.htm

          Everything have been ordered according to inside
          out,which is the book that we had this
          year...(fantastic!)

          Hi Webheads,

          I'm involved in a survey concerning how CALL
          professional have gained their
          'tools of the
          trade'. I've already requested cooperation on a number
          of mailing lists, and so
          for some
          Webheads, this is going to be 'old hat'. I do,
          however, have some interesting
          statistics at
          the bottom of this message that you might find
          interesting.

          It seems to me that a considerable deal of our
          knowledge is gained through trial
          and error,
          or through interactions with our colleagues locally,
          at conferences and online,
          through
          groups such as this. This is particularly true for
          those of us who went
          through school
          before computers or the Internet were a major tool for
          language learning.

          I have decided to attempt a survey to try to document
          some of my hunches in this
          regard
          and hopefully, with your cooperation, I will be able
          to gather sufficient
          information to
          publish a decent article on the topic.

          The survey is available at the following URL:

          http://www.langconcepts.net/proftraining.html

          It asks, via pulldown menus, for you to state which of
          a set of 15
          'representative' skills you
          possess (such as using Powerpoint. creating web pages,
          setting up a local
          network, etc.)
          and how you obtained your current level of skill. It
          also asks some general
          questions
          about what sort of CALL activities you use, so that
          they can be related to the
          skills you
          report having.

          If the skill is something you learned on "Webheads"
          please choose "E-list
          participation" as
          the "Way learnt".

          The survey itself is anonymous, but you can leave your
          name and e-mail address
          if you
          would like to receive a copy of the final results.

          So far I have received a little over 100 responses.
          Just to whet your appetite,
          here are the
          statistics so far on which skills the respondents
          stated that they have at least
          a basic
          competency in.

          MS Word 100%
          PowerPoint 91%
          Setting Up Email 89%
          Setting up Internet access 89%
          Excel 80%
          HTML Editor 78%
          Uploading 74%
          Chat 67%
          HTML Manually 61%
          Hot Potatoes 59%
          Authoring Programs 57%
          Network set-up 34%
          Javascripting 28%
          Flash 25%
          Server set-up 19%

          I look forward to receiving your 'input'!

          Cheers,
          Tom

          =====

          Mar�a Jordano de la Torre
          Avda. Men�ndez Pidal, s/n
          14071 C�rdoba, Spain/ Tfno. +34 957 212 130

          TI Office 1915 TI2 Office MariaJ_Ofc - www.mariajordano.com

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Lilliam Hurst
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 20, 2004
            --- In IATEFLComputerSig@yahoogroups.com, jodie williams
            <jodiewilliams@y...> wrote:
            > Hi!
            > Our school has a team of teachers who write original
            > on line material loosely based on course books used in
            > the Escuela Oficial de Idiomas (official language
            > school),in Pamplona, Spain, for our blended learning
            > programme for students who want to do the Official
            > Language School exams. (Inside Out, Cutting Edge.)
            >
            > The effectiveness of such material depends largely on
            > the tutor and the attitude and autonomy of the student
            > (and the extent to which the tutor is able to develop
            > learner autonomy in their students, which is really
            > hard, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.)
            >
            > For the statistics you could take a look at our web
            > page at www.webcnai.com and contact administration by
            > email.

            Jodie,
            Do you mean we need to contact "administration" so as to get a
            visitor's ID and password? I tried to visit your site, but was
            unable to see anything other than the welcome page.

            Sometimes folks who have a login allow visitors to come and "visit"
            via a temporary ID and login. Would that be possible for your
            website?

            Thanks,
            Lilliam
          • jodie williams
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2004
              --
              Dear Lilliam,
              To get hold of the statistics related to how many