BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS June 4th

  • Nik Peachey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2004
      Well here it is again. Yet another fun packed adventure in SearchEnglish
      land.
      As ever, apologies for cross posting and multitude of other sins.

      Nik

      BRITISH COUNCIL SEARCHENGLISH NEWS

      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org
      Welcome to the 1st June edition of the British Council's SearchEnglish
      newsletter. In this edition we have news on:
      1.TOP STORIES
      2. NEW ELT WRITERS DISCUSSION GROUP
      3. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
      4. CONFERENCES

      1 TOP STORIES
      ONLINE STORYTELLING
      The Story Lab in Sweden focuses on online storytelling, i.e. storytelling as
      a method on the Internet for the distribution of content for various
      purposes.

      CALM IS STRENGTH, UPSET IS WEAKNESS
      The most stressful misbehavior in a classroom is not the big disruption --
      the altercation that earns a trip to the office -- but the little
      disruption. Big disruptions happen only occasionally. Little disruptions
      happen constantly.

      BUILDING THE SCHOOL OF THE FUTURE
      This is a streaming media presentation with audio and slide presentation
      which looks at Microsoft's vision of the school of the future.

      PUTTING THE DISTANCE LEARNING COMPARISON STUDY IN PERSPECTIVE: ITS ROLE AS
      PERSONAL JOURNEY RESEARCH
      Administrators of distance learning are faced with the challenge of
      encouraging reluctant faculty to consider online teaching. Is it possible
      that supporting faculty to conduct modest research studies is such an
      avenue?

      RESEARCH EFFORTS ON EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY
      Clearly, the educational technology community must invest in research and
      evaluation studies to better guide the effective use of the investment, as
      well as to demonstrate to policy-makers the impact on teaching and learning.

      A NEW NETWORK OF COMMUNITY TECHNOLOGY PROJECTS IN SOUTHERN AFRICA
      CINSA supports community ICT initiatives, including telecentres, community
      multimedia centres, community radio stations, community information resource
      and access centres and the like. Its mandate is to serve those initiatives
      located within the SADC region through research, networking, facilitating
      training, service brokerage and more.

      These are just some of the articles that have appeared on the site within
      the last few days. We also welcome your help in directing us towards useful
      articles so if you see something you think others should see then drop us a
      line at: search.admin@...

      2. ELT WRITERS DISCUSSION GROUP
      We now have a discussion group dedicated to helping ELT writers develop. The
      group contains links to submission guidelines from various journals as well
      as tips on how to get published. Please feel free to post more links to
      submission guidelines or place where ELT writers can find outlets for their
      talents and develop their career.

      3. SEARCHENGLISH SURVEY
      We are continuing the process of carrying out a survey to find out how best
      to meet your needs, so if you have a 3 minutes and would be kind enough to
      help us by supplying some anonymous information click on this link or post
      the URL into your browser.
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4642589/i.asp

      4. CONFERENCES
      Don't forget to check out our list of conferences. Top spot this week goes
      to the IATEFL SIG conference in Germany 18th - 20th June. That's just two
      weeks away.

      As ever your feedback and suggestions are welcome at
      search.admin@... or just go to
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org and click on FEEDBACK
      To subscribe to / unsubscribe from this newsletter visit
      http://searchenglish.britishcouncil.org or click on this link:
      http://survey.britishcouncil.org/wi/p4402367/i.asp

      Regards

      Nik Peachey